Old September 29th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Ken says yes to Crystal Palace tram extension

"David Bradley" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:39:39 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:
"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .

Yep, that will do nicely; stick a couple of poles
on top for eco friendly operation and hey presto
a rubber tyred tram without all that hassell of utility
diversion during construction and a world bank loan
to build a tramway.

David Bradley

Have you ever posted a message to Usenet
that didn't advocate trolleybuses?

Well one thing is for sure there's never going to
be an extensive tramway system in London and
the cost of fuel oil is going to rise year on end until
supplies are exhausted. Only public transport that
is electrically feed from an external source is viable
today, and that remains so for many years to come,
despite al the trials of alternative fuels currently
being pursued.

In the same way that 20 years ago trams were viewed
as yesterdays technology, and yet today they are a
mode a transit that most cities desire; the same
scenario continues for rubber tyred trams or
trolleybuses or whatever trendy name you wish to use.

There is nothing wrong in raising awareness of
what is happening elsewhere in Europe in the public
transport arena* and considering if we should adopt
similar solutions in the UK. I happen to believe there
is a place for trolleybus operations here and that their
new image will indeed be a step change with a
significant modal change for passengers. But before
that happens they have to be at least on the agenda
for serious consideration and not swept under the
carpet with sarcastic one line messages.

David Bradley

* Geneva now has new double artic trolleybuses

I'll take that as a "no" then.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped