Old October 4th 04, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Buses blocking the road

Dave Arquati ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Although in favour of speeding up buses, I wonder whether it might
better serve the interests of both bus users and motorists to
introduce a rule which makes it compulsory to let buses leaving a bus
stop pull out.

Hmmm. I can foresee a slight problem with that - it won't be long
before a bus driver just pulls straight out into traffic without
looking "because they have to give way to me" and causes an accident.
With any luck, it won't be a motorbike or a bicycle that's going past
him at the time.

Although surely if this rule were the case and the bus driver had
signalled to pull out, then whoever subsequently overtakes is the one
causing the accident rather than the bus driver.

You're assuming the bus driver will signal and will pause long enough
before pulling out to allow the traffic to react to that signal.