Old October 19th 04, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Private Hire in Hyde Park

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message

There are many licensing areas that require a
knowledge test. Brighton & Hove requires you
to give the start and finish roads of any road the
examiner asks. Pass mark is 67% out of 60+
questions.

That sounds like you could do it just by reading an A-Z.

Except they ask you the one way streets and when you come to do your
driving test you have to take the examiners (hackney carriage officers)
over at least 5 routes without reference to any maps - that sorts out
the ones who have been out and those that haven't :-)

Tynedale, which is the largest council by area in England (about 1.5 times
the size of Greater London), is currently introducing a London-style
knowledge.

It's interesting to know that. I'm currently conducting some research on
the numbers of drivers within the trade nationally, both taxi and PH.
One respondent has suggested that numbers may be falling due to the fact
that standards have risen. Until I've got figures I can't substantiate
his remark, but my gut feeling is that he is correct.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England