Old November 23rd 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Late-night Tube plan announced

Phil Richards wrote in message ET...
redtube wrote:

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

So a change to rosters, perhaps. What's wrong with that? Most staff who
finish work late in the day will still have to rely upon getting home by
car or night bus with the existing arrangements, I can't see what extra
difficulties will be met with finishing say an hour or two later two
nights a week.

It seems the case is clear. You can have a later closed close down time
at Weekends at the expense of a later start up time the following
mornings? Perhaps we ought to be questioning whether or not the
maintenance work can be fitted around slightly longer operational hours
by retaining existing start up times and for two nights a week just
loosing an hour or two at the end of the day.

I really don't see this coming off. A few late over running
engineering works and you wont see the first underground trains until
after 8am. I can see London businesses tolerating that just so a few
party goers on a Friday night don't need to get a taxi home.
But typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.