Old August 5th 03, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unitary Authorities (was Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

Is a modern Unitary Authority the same as an old Soke?

Latterly, I think that the only surviving Soke *was* Peterborough,
although they had been commonplace in mediaeval times. Effectively
County Borough = Unitary Authority + Soke (at least as far as
Peterborough was concerned). As an aside, though, the Soke of
Peterborough was in the geographical (or "Ceremonial" county of
Northamptonshire. I suspect that the present Peterborough Unitary
Authority is in the Geographical (or administrative) County of
Cambridgeshire but I could be wrong. Someone here (Clive?) will know.

The Soke of Peterborough was an administrative county in Northamptonshire
in the same way that the Isle of Ely was an administrative county in
Cambridgeshire.

The Soke had county districts including the City of Peterborough, somewhat
smaller in those days, Barnack Rural District and others IIRC. It didn't
include Thorney Rural District, then in the Isle of Ely but now in
Peterborough which is in the County of Cambridgeshire for a number of
purposes, including the ceremonial.

--
Colin Rosenstiel