Old February 9th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Niklas Karlsson Niklas Karlsson is offline

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

In article , Brimstone wrote:

"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message
In article , k wrote:
I don't. I speak English. Although our company has offices
throughout the world the "official" language is English. (As its an
American company it would be, after all "everyone speaks English
(American) don't they? :-))

Well, Ericsson, a Swedish-based and -owned multinational, also uses
English as its official language. So I think in practice, in the
business world, everyone really *does* speak English.

Similarly, I've just accepted a job with a small Stockholm-based company
95% staffed by Swedes and 100% owned by them (if I recall); its official
language is also English.

But which version of English? Americans claim to speak Englsih, but insist
on deviating from the original.

I'm unsure which, if any, variant of English is the official one in
either of the companies I mentioned. I suspect that in practice,
Ericssonites use whatever they're most accustomed to: American Ericsson
staff use US-style English, Commonwealth staff use British English, etc.

What Swedes use seems to depend on whether they paid more attention in
school (English is mandatory from 4th grade up, and almost exclusively
taught in the British variant) or to Hollywood movies. :-)

Or didn't pay attention at all, which has resulted in things like the
guy who arrived at the airport and said to the gentlemen who'd come
there to pick him up, "I am the Swedish VD you are waiting for." (VD =
verkställande direktör = managing director, or CEO)

Niklas
--
I mean, who could fail to enjoy doing Bristol - London along a
congested M4 in a 60mph steamroller?