Old March 3rd 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David B David B is offline

Default Inquiry into bus complaints

"The Bloke Next Door" Bloke@NextDoor wrote in message ...

Bus companies are so desperate for drivers mainly because the "basic"pay is so bad & the job is dangerous & involves antisocial hours that they are prepared to recruit almost anyone, I am told that the unemployed are forced to do driver training or get slung off the dole, so if you want to know the reason for the appalling bus drivers we have now it's because they are a bunch of work-shy skiving *******s with attitude.

To be honest I think things have changed a lot as regards London bus driving and managers can afford to be picky to a certain extent. Whilst 'basic' pay is not great, the benefits of any overtime boost wages quite substantially and £500 a week (before tax) should be achievable with one rest day. In 1996 when I joined up, you were only paid for the hours you drove. No spread over allowance or unsocial hours. Now most companies pay that and the pay compared with companies outside of London is at least twice as much more.

All buses are equipped with assault screens, assault alarms, a good Band 3 radio system connected to centrecom (better than the crap we have down here) so IMHO there is no reason to call the job dangerous.

If passengers are being thrown around then perhaps the performance of modern buses needs to be severely restricted (easily possible with modern engine management computers) and 30 mph speed limiters fitted.