Old March 3rd 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Jim is offline

Default Inquiry into bus complaints

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ing%20Standard

Inquiry into bus complaints
By Ross Lydall Local Government Correspondent, Evening Standard
The chronic state of bad and dangerous bus driving in London can be revealed
today.

New figures show that 2,600 passengers a year are injured as they board or
alight from the capital's 7,000-strong bus fleet.

One in four of the incidents involves pensioners, who are thrown from seats
or fall over when drivers pull off from stops too quickly or brake too
sharply.

Overall, more than 20,000 complaints were received, from buses failing to
stop, to the damage they cause to parked cars, to drivers refusing to lower
ramps for disabled passengers.

Now the London Assembly has decided to launch a formal investigation-into
the state of driving, with the amount of bus journeys taken each day
expected to rise further this summer when the congestion charge jumps to £8.

The 700-route bus network already carries 6.25 million passengers each
weekday - a modern-day high.

Roger Evans, the Conservative transport spokesman on the Assembly, said:
"Most of our bus drivers are excellent, but we are let down by a few who are
not.

"In one out of 20 cases inspectors looked at, the driving wasn't just bad,
it was dangerous. Drivers were stopping too fast, people were being thrown
off their seats.

"If you commute every day, it means that once every two weeks you will be
driven dangerously. That is not good enough."

The Assembly's inquiry follows the release of figures by Ken Livingstone in
response to questions from the Liberal Democrats.

The Mayor revealed that there were an average of 18 complaints each day made
to Transport for London or the private bus companies about poor or dangerous
bus driving. In addition, it emerged there we

35 complaints each day when drivers were said to have deliberately missed
stops.

485 complaints a year of buses damaging cars.

287 complaints a year where drivers refused to lower ramps for disabled
travellers.
TfL's figures, which cover the 12 months to September 2004, named and shamed
the bus companies that attracted the greatest complaints.

This list was headed by Arriva London North with 749 complaints, Metroline
(733), Stagecoach East London (540), Arriva London South (539) and First
CentreWest (502).

Lynne Featherstone, the Lib-Dem chair of the London Assembly's transport
committee, said: "Those most at risk from erratic driving are frail or
elderly people who are unable to balance themselves when the bus accelerates
or brakes sharply."

Mr Livingstone said standards had fallen when the bus network was privatised
in the Nineties and poor wages led to a third of staff quitting each year.

But since his election in 2000, salaries had risen from £16,000 to £21,000
for bus drivers, and all staff now underwent a BTEC training course.

He said the number of accidents was small compared to the 1.7 billion bus
trips a year in the capital.

Old March 3rd 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim" wrote in message .uk...
[...]

Bus companies are so desperate for drivers mainly because the "basic"pay is so bad & the job is dangerous & involves antisocial hours that they are prepared to recruit almost anyone, I am told that the unemployed are forced to do driver training or get slung off the dole, so if you want to know the reason for the appalling bus drivers we have now it's because they are a bunch of work-shy skiving *******s with attitude.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"The Bloke Next Door" Bloke@NextDoor wrote in message ...

Bus companies are so desperate for drivers mainly because the "basic"pay is so bad & the job is dangerous & involves antisocial hours that they are prepared to recruit almost anyone, I am told that the unemployed are forced to do driver training or get slung off the dole, so if you want to know the reason for the appalling bus drivers we have now it's because they are a bunch of work-shy skiving *******s with attitude.

To be honest I think things have changed a lot as regards London bus driving and managers can afford to be picky to a certain extent. Whilst 'basic' pay is not great, the benefits of any overtime boost wages quite substantially and £500 a week (before tax) should be achievable with one rest day. In 1996 when I joined up, you were only paid for the hours you drove. No spread over allowance or unsocial hours. Now most companies pay that and the pay compared with companies outside of London is at least twice as much more.

All buses are equipped with assault screens, assault alarms, a good Band 3 radio system connected to centrecom (better than the crap we have down here) so IMHO there is no reason to call the job dangerous.

If passengers are being thrown around then perhaps the performance of modern buses needs to be severely restricted (easily possible with modern engine management computers) and 30 mph speed limiters fitted.
Old March 3rd 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The worst one i had where he was driving at about 40 and suddenly
pulled up.
What happened,
A pensioner is throwen to the foor.
A man gets his head bashed into the safety bar.
And half of sainsburys at the end of the bus.
Me and my mate shouted at the driver what the hell do you think you are
doing you prait.
He said shut up before i have to make you.
Most of the passengers got off at the next stop including me.
Who did he think he was mick busmacher.
Its getting worse.
James

Old March 3rd 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bus companies are so desperate for drivers mainly because the
"basic"pay is
so bad

Bad compared to the tube!!