Old April 22nd 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default TfL status depends on election

This is partly to do with transport in London, as I think it probably
affects TfL (although I might be wrong). I was interested to hear
Michael Howard mention (very briefly) on his Jeremy Paxman interview
tonight that the Conservatives would abolish the regional assemblies.

That struck me as odd originally, as they don't oppose the Scottish or
Welsh devolved authorities (more for the sake of "not playing into the
hands of the nationalists" than anything else), and I thought there
weren't any regional assemblies following the failed North East
referendum. Of course, that was stupid of me; I'm living in the only!

It doesn't seem to be a highly publicised or discussed policy, but if
the Conservatives were to take power (however likely/unlikely that is),
then I imagine that would have a significant impact on transport in
London, amongst other issues, as the Mayor essentially commands TfL.

Speaking cynically and as someone extremely unlikely to vote
Conservative, I'd say the Tories are annoyed that we still have Ken
Livingstone as Mayor despite a Conservative majority on the Assembly,
and don't think the 72% vote in favour of the creation of the GLA really
matters. Others may, of course, have different opinions :-)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7