Old May 7th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default WWII Bunker

Neill Wormwood:
As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green

Nick Cooper:
Abandoned due to persistent flooding.

Not mentioned in RTTC. Did they really start a further tunnel there?

or Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it
was abandoned due to water ingress.

Abandoned due to persistent flooding from unexepected water-bearing
stratum (i.e. not the buried River Effra, as per some accounts).

RTTC says "officially because water was encountered during tunnelling,
but the drawing was marked 'abandoned - shortage of labour'".
--
Mark Brader | "Red lights are not my concern.
Toronto | I am a driver, not a policeman."