Old June 10th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default getting to Gatwick Airport

"Dee" wrote in message
I just wrote this complaint to the people that run this website:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/planmy...quirements.asp

Is this website biased?

I want to get from Harrow-on-the-hill station to Gatwick airport

Your website tells me the best way is

HARROW-ON-THE-HILL 09:23 Train CHILTERN RAILWAY CO
LONDON MARYLEBONE 09:39 09:39 Tube*
LONDON VICTORIA 10:17 10:17 Train SOUTHERN.
GATWICK AIRPORT

After a lot of research it would seem Harrow-on-the-hill to kingcross
and then the Thames Link to Gatwick is quicker, cheaper, and less changes

So why is that route not being shown?

Probably because it's a heck of a lot slower! You're talking about 20
minutes to KX on the Metropolitan, a ten minute (unpleasant and
inconvenient) walk to KX Thameslink, then a circuitous (and slow) route
around the outskirts of the City, before heading for Croydon and Gatwick.

OTOH, Chiltern takes 11 minutes to Marylebone, you're straight down the
Underground from the station concourse, it's a cross platform change to the
Victoria line at Oxford Circus and straight onto the main station concourse
at Victoria. I can do Marylebone to Victoria in under 15 minutes, so you
would be preparing to leave Victoria by that route before you'd even got to
London Bridge by the alternative. It's a journey that I do regularly and I
can assure you that the given route is faster!