Old June 10th 05, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dee Dee is offline

Default getting to Gatwick Airport

I just wrote this complaint to the people that run this website:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/planmy...quirements.asp

Is this website biased?

I want to get from Harrow-on-the-hill station to Gatwick airport

Your website tells me the best way is

HARROW-ON-THE-HILL 09:23 Train CHILTERN RAILWAY CO
LONDON MARYLEBONE 09:39 09:39 Tube*
LONDON VICTORIA 10:17 10:17 Train SOUTHERN.
GATWICK AIRPORT

After a lot of research it would seem Harrow-on-the-hill to kingcross
and then the Thames Link to Gatwick is quicker, cheaper, and less changes

So why is that route not being shown?

Old June 10th 05, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:38:23 +0100, Dee
wrote:

I just wrote this complaint to the people that run this website:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/planmy...quirements.asp

Is this website biased?

I want to get from Harrow-on-the-hill station to Gatwick airport

I can't get the NR site to give me any trains for that journey.

The TFL journey planner offers two routes:

(i) Metropolitan line to Farringdon
(ii) Thameslink to Gatwick Airport

Journey time 80 minutes; or

(i) Metropolitan line to Baker Street
(ii) Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus
(iii) Victoria line to Victoria
(iv) Southern to Gatwick Airport

Journey time 75 minutes.

I suspect the problem is that the NR site is identifying
Harrow-on-the-Hill only for mainline services, not for the
Underground.

Old June 10th 05, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dee typed

I just wrote this complaint to the people that run this website:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/planmy...quirements.asp

Is this website biased?

I want to get from Harrow-on-the-hill station to Gatwick airport

Your website tells me the best way is

HARROW-ON-THE-HILL 09:23 Train CHILTERN RAILWAY CO
LONDON MARYLEBONE 09:39 09:39 Tube*
LONDON VICTORIA 10:17 10:17 Train SOUTHERN.
GATWICK AIRPORT

After a lot of research it would seem Harrow-on-the-hill to kingcross
and then the Thames Link to Gatwick is quicker, cheaper, and less changes

So why is that route not being shown?

Thameslink has only just reopened through London and trains to Gatwick
are more infrequent than from Victoria.

Thameslink interchanges at Kings Cross are a long trek with luggage.

The Metropolitan Line has been closed at weekends recently. For what
date did you request your journey?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 10th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dee" wrote in message
I just wrote this complaint to the people that run this website:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/planmy...quirements.asp

Is this website biased?

I want to get from Harrow-on-the-hill station to Gatwick airport

Your website tells me the best way is

HARROW-ON-THE-HILL 09:23 Train CHILTERN RAILWAY CO
LONDON MARYLEBONE 09:39 09:39 Tube*
LONDON VICTORIA 10:17 10:17 Train SOUTHERN.
GATWICK AIRPORT

After a lot of research it would seem Harrow-on-the-hill to kingcross
and then the Thames Link to Gatwick is quicker, cheaper, and less changes

So why is that route not being shown?

Probably because it's a heck of a lot slower! You're talking about 20
minutes to KX on the Metropolitan, a ten minute (unpleasant and
inconvenient) walk to KX Thameslink, then a circuitous (and slow) route
around the outskirts of the City, before heading for Croydon and Gatwick.

OTOH, Chiltern takes 11 minutes to Marylebone, you're straight down the
Underground from the station concourse, it's a cross platform change to the
Victoria line at Oxford Circus and straight onto the main station concourse
at Victoria. I can do Marylebone to Victoria in under 15 minutes, so you
would be preparing to leave Victoria by that route before you'd even got to
London Bridge by the alternative. It's a journey that I do regularly and I
can assure you that the given route is faster!

Old June 10th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jack Taylor
writes

Probably because it's a heck of a lot slower! You're talking about 20
minutes to KX on the Metropolitan, a ten minute (unpleasant and
inconvenient) walk to KX Thameslink, then a circuitous (and slow) route
around the outskirts of the City, before heading for Croydon and Gatwick.

Surely it'd be better to transfer from the Met to Thamelink at
Farringdon anyway, as it's just over the footbridge rather than a long
walk. This route probably would be easier than going via Victoria.
--
Daniel (a.k.a Spyke)
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. Replace the bit before the

Old June 10th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Spyke" wrote in message

Surely it'd be better to transfer from the Met to Thamelink at
Farringdon anyway, as it's just over the footbridge rather than a long
walk.

Good point actually! The OP mentioned KX so I just ran with it without
thinking. Either way, though, it's a slow and miserable journey going via
Thameslink.

TBH, if I was going from Harrow with luggage then I'd go to Harrow and
Wealdstone and get a (Southern) Watford - Gatwick - Brighton train right
through, without any changes at all.

Old June 11th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:32:29 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

"Spyke" wrote in message

Surely it'd be better to transfer from the Met to Thamelink at
Farringdon anyway, as it's just over the footbridge rather than a long
walk.

Good point actually! The OP mentioned KX so I just ran with it without
thinking. Either way, though, it's a slow and miserable journey going via
Thameslink.

TBH, if I was going from Harrow with luggage then I'd go to Harrow and
Wealdstone and get a (Southern) Watford - Gatwick - Brighton train right
through, without any changes at all.

I'd agree. Short bus ride on the 182/186/140/340/258 to Harrow &
Wealdstone, then the (hourly) Southern train to Gatwick. Might well
save you a couple of quid too as you avoid Zone 1.

When you get to Harrow & Wealdstone station, you can walk under the
stairs up to the footbridge, to get to the Gatwick-bound platform
without having to go up the stairs and down again.