Old June 17th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
David Martin David Martin is offline

Default Train-home ban for big bike ride

Steven wrote:
On 17 Jun 2005 08:24:13 -0700, "David Martin"
wrote:
I use Electrostars regularly, and have never seen more than two bikes in one
carriage. And that's *very* rare. You can't expect then to waste space on
providing facilities that are rarely used but would detract from the comfort and
utility of the trains for their bread and butter work.

The answer is to have trains that are flexible use. Ie carriages that
will allow bulky luggage, prams, bikes, wheelchairs etc. or hods of
standing cattle^^^^^^^commuters during crush hour. There is nothing to
be lost and everything to be gained from such a configuration. Oh,
except that people might actually use the trains with a bit more than
just a small briefcase..

You can do all that on an Electrostar.

Where do I find one of these mythical beasts? Any online plans as to
the internal layout, and how many bikes will one take.

There is a limit, however.

Just the same as there is a limit to the number of people you can squeeze on.

Indeed. Space inside a train is not infinite. But it is a bit galling
to be told you cannot take a bike because there are already two on
board and over half the seats are empty (or the train is so choc-a-bloc
with peoples suitcases)

...d