Old June 23rd 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default London buses - noise

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:33:52 +0000 (UTC), marcb
wrote:

The buses (which seem fairly new) on the route that goes past our house
- the 76 - often sound like a turbofan revving for take-off. Did they
skimp on sound insulation with these things - and are drivers told not
to keep over-revving as they seem to do?

They are not over-revving. It is a huge fan that has to work overtime in
the current temperatures to keep the engine compartment cool. This is a
design "feature" on Volvo B7 chassis which is what is typically used on
the 76. I do agree that they can be amazingly loud but it is always far
worse in summer than winter.

In fact, are there any noise standards for buses?

Don't know.
--
Paul C