Old July 9th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] unopened@mail.com is offline

Default Which way were the trains going?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

There are now witness accounts correcting the Edgware Road explosion time
to 8:50.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Hello Colin,

if you are referring to reports of the statement made by Sarah Reid,
then I understand she was commenting on being involved in the Aldgate
incident, not the Edgware road one. I couldn't find any references to
a different time for the Edgware road explosion - please post links if
you know different.

As far as I can tell from the reports, the explosions were on a
westbound train between Edgware Road and Paddington, a southbound train
between King's Cross and Russell Square, and a train between Liverpool
Street and Aldgate. The direction of travel of the last train is
unclear. It's also not clear what train stock was affected and what
service it was running - not that it's particularly important, but the
media have been very confused, mixing up Aldgate, Aldgate East, Circle
Line, H&C and so on.

It's all a very good example of the 'fog of war', and I wouldn't be
surprised if the same level of confusion afflicted the emergency
services, what with the initial reports of a 'power surge', then 7 or 8
explosions, confusion in the location of the bus between Tavistock
Square and Upper Woburn Place (was it one bus or two), and reports of
suspicious packages at Baker Street and Stockwell as well as other
places.

One of the better consensus opinions of what happened is probably at
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_...ndon_bombings),
which, given its collaborative nature, is presumed to tend towards an
accurate account of what most people believe happened (which may not,
of course, be what *actually* happened).

Regards,

Sid