Old July 15th 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alistair Bell Alistair Bell is offline

Default Where were the bombers intending to go ?

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:12:55 on Thu, 14 Jul
2005, Ed Lake remarked:
the fourth blew up a bus which was supposed to be at King's Cross to
pick up people who were streaming out of the station because of the
prior bombs.

Still streaming out of the station an hour later? That's not very
likely. If the bus bomb had gone off 5-10 minutes after 8.50, perhaps.

5-10 minutes would have been unlikely to be enough, but an hour feels a
bit too long to be a pre-planned herding attack.

IMO the plan is likely to have been to detonate on the junction
immediately south of Camden Town (at the point where the two lines come
together ever so briefly, so you can screw up every piece of the
Northern Line). If you see the Edgware Road pictures, you can see that
the bomb exploded right over the points of Praed Street Junction, and
of course the King's Cross bomb went up at the one and only place where
they could shut the Picc all the way from HPC to Arnos Grove.

I'm certainly open to the possibility that the fourth bomb was a
pre-planned herding attack, but given how precisely the other bombs
detonated at points designed for maximum network screw-up, I think
Camden Town is more likely. It sounds very much like the police don't
know either.

If I had to guess, I'd venture that the fourth bomber went down to the
Northern Line, saw it was shut, implemented Plan B (Victoria to Euston
and pick up the Charing X branch there), got stuck at Euston because of
the network shutdown, wandered about a bit, got on the 30 and suddenly
realized he could get his 72 virgins on the bus because it was so
packed. But that's just my guess -- who knows what the real story was.