Old October 10th 05, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Marc Brett Marc Brett is offline

Default New Fares

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:55:54 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Chris Tolley
writes

That I disagree with the assertion and repeating it does not give me any
additional evidence to consider.

OK, let's look at a specific example:

Bus to Richmond station, SWT to Waterloo, tube to office.
The same coming back.

That costs £8 on a one-day Travelcard.

And, realistically, unless you live near a shop selling ODTs, you'll be paying
for the first bus journey so you can buy the ODT at Richmond. Total cost £9 or
£9.50.

Using Oyster pre-pay, the two bus journeys would come to £2, the two
tube journeys would clock up £3.40. Add that to the cost of a day
return on SWT for the bit not covered by Oyster, which is £5.90.
Total using Oyster comes to £11.30.

Have I miscalculated, or does Oyster strike you as "not a sensible
option" for occasional use when it pushes the total cost to nearly 50%
more than a travelcard?