Old November 9th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default TfL's latest scam - charging twice for a bus journey

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:47:27 +0000 (UTC), "Steve"
wrote:

This has happend to me twice this week and 4 times to a friend within the
last 6 days.
When paying by PAYG Oyster Card on a bus, the bus then terminates it's
journey short of the short of the stop indicated on the front of the bus, in
my case, I took a number 4 from Goswell Road to Waterloo, it said Waterloo
on the front, but it terminated at Ludgate Circus and everyone was ordered
off and onto the number 4 bus that was at the stop in front. I was then told
that I had to swipe my Oyster on the reader again. I have now paid £2 for
the journey that I should have only paid £1 for.
Today when getting onto the second bus and this time knowing that I was
going to have to pay, I swiped my Oyster only to be told that I now had
isufficent credit, I offered to pay and was told that it was within the
yellow area where they are not allwoed to accept cash payment.

This is one hell of a f**king scam as far as I can see. Why should the
passenger be forced to be out of pocket just because the bus decides to stop
early. I understand that occasioanlly a vehicle is taken out of service for
whatever reason, but in the past the driver would usually wait until an
alternative came and we couuld board that without making a further purchase,
now we are penalised.

If Ken wants to **** off Londoners any more then he's going the right way
about it. And while I'm on the matter, he's really gonna **** off the
tourists next year when they have to pay £3 for a tube journey cos they
don't know about Oysters!

This has been debated at very great length on Yahoo groups recently.

You don't need to rescan. The driver of the bus being terminated should
provide a transfer / inspectors ticket. This is then presented to the
driver of the bus you are getting on to as it is a record of
transactions on the terminating bus. If this happens again and the
ticket is not offered voluntarily then insist on one being provided. A
pain I know but at least you know what to request. And yes it should be
advertised and made clear to passengers.

I would complain to the Oyster help desk to get your two extra £1 trips
refunded. This is a failure of procedure by the bus driver. If you get
nowhere fast - and I have no reason to expect that you won't get your
money refunded - I would raise this issue with TfL Customer Services.
If that does not deal with the issue then refer it to the LTUC.
--
Paul C