Old November 9th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL's latest scam - charging twice for a bus journey

This has happend to me twice this week and 4 times to a friend within the
last 6 days.
When paying by PAYG Oyster Card on a bus, the bus then terminates it's
journey short of the short of the stop indicated on the front of the bus, in
my case, I took a number 4 from Goswell Road to Waterloo, it said Waterloo
on the front, but it terminated at Ludgate Circus and everyone was ordered
off and onto the number 4 bus that was at the stop in front. I was then told
that I had to swipe my Oyster on the reader again. I have now paid £2 for
the journey that I should have only paid £1 for.
Today when getting onto the second bus and this time knowing that I was
going to have to pay, I swiped my Oyster only to be told that I now had
isufficent credit, I offered to pay and was told that it was within the
yellow area where they are not allwoed to accept cash payment.

This is one hell of a f**king scam as far as I can see. Why should the
passenger be forced to be out of pocket just because the bus decides to stop
early. I understand that occasioanlly a vehicle is taken out of service for
whatever reason, but in the past the driver would usually wait until an
alternative came and we couuld board that without making a further purchase,
now we are penalised.

If Ken wants to **** off Londoners any more then he's going the right way
about it. And while I'm on the matter, he's really gonna **** off the
tourists next year when they have to pay £3 for a tube journey cos they
don't know about Oysters!

Old November 9th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:47:27 +0000 (UTC), "Steve"
wrote:

[...]

This has been debated at very great length on Yahoo groups recently.

You don't need to rescan. The driver of the bus being terminated should
provide a transfer / inspectors ticket. This is then presented to the
driver of the bus you are getting on to as it is a record of
transactions on the terminating bus. If this happens again and the
ticket is not offered voluntarily then insist on one being provided. A
pain I know but at least you know what to request. And yes it should be
advertised and made clear to passengers.

I would complain to the Oyster help desk to get your two extra £1 trips
refunded. This is a failure of procedure by the bus driver. If you get
nowhere fast - and I have no reason to expect that you won't get your
money refunded - I would raise this issue with TfL Customer Services.
If that does not deal with the issue then refer it to the LTUC.
--
Paul C

Old November 9th 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Steve typed:
[...]

When a journey is terminated early, the driver is supposed to give any
passengers who need it a signed print out of his machine showing that fares
for the journey have already been paid.

--
Lawrence Myers
Fax No 08719892164

Old November 10th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

There is a thread on uk.railway about the justification of TOC's
wacking on huge admin fees on refunds so don't forget to wack on a huge
admin fee of your own.

Kevin

Old November 10th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:47:27 +0000 (UTC), "Steve"
wrote:

[Paying twice due to buses turning early]

This is one hell of a f**king scam as far as I can see. Why should the
passenger be forced to be out of pocket just because the bus decides to stop
early. I understand that occasioanlly a vehicle is taken out of service for
whatever reason, but in the past the driver would usually wait until an
alternative came and we couuld board that without making a further purchase,
now we are penalised.

There's no difference between Oyster and cash in cases like that. The
correct procedure, as I understand it, is for the driver on the bus
that's being turned early to issue the affected passengers with a
"Transfer Ticket", which you then show to the driver on the other bus.

The more "usual" procedure, where another bus on the same route is just
behind/in front, seems to be that everyone just transfers to the other
bus, and the two drivers have a quick chat, and that's about it.

Cheers,

Barry

Buses being turned early happens on occasions on bendy bus route I
frequent, I just wait for the next one and figure that if I get
inspected I'll tell them what happened. I wonder if inspectors even
match up the specific bus you're on to the record held on your Oyster
card though, as from what I've seen of the display of handheld Oyster
readers carried by inspectors, they merely show the time the card was
last scanned on a bus and the route number of that bus (along with the
Pre Pay balance) - so my card would be fine as it'd show I'd scanned
and thus paid on route 567 within the past hour even if I hadn't done
so on the specific bus I was on.

Anyway, if driver of an early-turning bendy bus were to give out
transfer tickets then those fare evaders on-board who hadn't got a
valid ticket would get given a legitimate ticket for onward travel. And
every time I've been on a bendy bus and inspectors have boarded someone
has got done for not having a (valid) ticket. So I doubt if the
transfer ticket system has been instituted on bendy buses.

Old November 10th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
EK EK is offline

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:

[...]

The reader that you encountered seems a little more sophisticated than the
one I came across a couple of weeks ago. The reader the ticket inspector
held just had a LED light on it. It turned green if the oystercard was
valid/touched properly (and I'm guessing a different colour if it didn't).
Guess this wouldn't have helped me if I had to change buses without a
transfer ticket.

--

==============================
Click it or not, it's not up to me.

Old November 10th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
EK EK is offline

wrote:

[...]

Should you not still ask for a transfer ticket even if you have to switch to
another bus to continue your route ? Who's to say a ticket inspector won't
get onto the new bus and find out you haven't touched in with your
oystercard ?

--

Old October 15th 13, 03:13 PM
Junior Member

Angry

It really annoyed me today, seriously, I have already applied for a 16+ free oyster travel photo card and the damn thing is taking AGES to arrive (3 weeks wtf).

The 427 said it was going to Uxbridge before it terminated early, which ripped me off as I had to pay twice for the journey, and just like the other posts here I ended up having insufficient funds on the way back.

On the 607 going home I scanned the oyster and it went red on the scanner, creating that nasty sound I scanned it again and it goes red again.REALLY takes the Mickey. The stupid driver there tells me " oh I can't let you on this bus, it's £2.60, you have to get off", holding me up on the bus like a prat.

I go to pay him and I find out that I don't have it!!!!! This was because I used that on the second bus in the morning! I then ask him "I don't have it, what do I do".
This is how the driver replies, "We'll if you don't have the fare you have to get off!". Really damn annoying.