Old November 24th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III is offline

Default Notting Hill Wall

Conductor in Charge of.......... wrote:
I have just seen an old documentary that showed that all is not what it
seems in Notting Hill. Apparently some of the houses above the
District&Circle lines are not houses at all but just a facade with
nothing behind them, this apparently was to do with the cut&cover
tunnels, does anyone know more detail about this? It sounds very
interesting!

Yes. This is an old one. Numbers 16 & 17 (I think) Leinster Gardens
are dummies. If you have a look, their windows are actually black-painted
wood (?). It prevents the nobs of the time from having to look
down onto the railway below.

Richard [in PE12]