Old January 2nd 06, 06:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Sunderland Neil Sunderland is offline

Default The Thameslink Planning Enquiry

Neil Sunderland wrote:
Trunk Roads aren't "schemes" as such, just lengths of existing roads
that were taken over by the (then) Ministry of Roads and (the ones
that haven't been detrunked, anyway) now maintained by the HA.

They were originally defined by the Trunk Roads Acts of 1936 and 1946.
For example, Trunk Road 1 is London-Thurso and Trunk Road 8 is
London-Penzance (from the 1936 Act) and the now defunct Trunk Road 41
is Taunton-Barnstaple-Fraddon (in the 1946 Act).

Without access to a copy of the Acts I can't be certain, but I'd guess
the Felixstowe-Southampton Trunk Road was created by the 1946 Act.

I've now found a list of the roads defined by the two Acts online.

http://www.watsonlv.addr.com/my_hosting/trunk_roads.htm

Southampton-Felixstowe isn't listed, though. However, it could have
been formed from two (or more) Trunk Roads that were joined up for
administrative purposes, although it's not immediately obvious from
the list which ones would have been joined up. It's equally likely
that it was defined by later legislation.

At least I identified Trunk Roads 1, 8 and 41 accurately

Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.

NP: Led Zeppelin - Down By The Seaside (from the album 'Physical Graffiti')