Old January 29th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Making the B14 even worse

On 29 Jan 2006 07:01:08 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:42:42 +1030, (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

snip

Are they trying to run this route down?

I doubt it but there is little extra money around to fund improvements
to routes like this. The next phases of the bus improvement programme
were halted to divert money to the tube and rail parts of TfL. This
will explain why the frequency enhancement never happened - as is the
case London wide with route proposals being axed all over the place.

Out of interest, when you say the nest phases of the bus imporvement
programme have been shelved, can I just ask yout to elaborate on that a
little more, i.e. what did the planned improvements mainly consist of -
frequency improvements, new routes on busy bus corridors, more
comprehensive coverage of previously underserved areas etc?

London Buses commissioned a strategic review of their bus network and
associated policies like tendering and whether they were securing value
for money. The intent was to carry on the sorts of policies and
enhancements witnessed for the Congestion Zone changes but in the
suburbs. The report is here.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/...egicreview.pdf

The improvement to London's bus services since TfL took over has been a
great achievement, and I hope that here isn't going to be a
retrenchment in services in years to come.

I think you will find that there will be a very real financial struggle
in the next 4-5 years. There are plenty of "smoke signals" wafting from
the Treasury and DfT that indicate that transport spending is for the
chop. The railways will take the main brunt but I expect things like the
London Bus network and the Tube will also face severe scrutiny. It is
likely that Ken will be voted out or will not stand at the next Mayoral
election. Regardless of who wins I am of the view that they will not
have the same support from the government regardless of who is Prime
Minister. The electoral imperative to do show results will have vanished
for 4 years at that point.

Also, Paul, as someone with their finger on the pulse, what is your
assesment of how well TfL is prioritising their spending, given what
you say above about cash being diverted to the tube and railways?

I don't really have my finger on the pulse. Much of the information is
readily available in the TfL Board papers that anyone can read on the
TfL website.

The business plan certainly highlights key priorities and funding
sources. Be warned it is a big document!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...ss-plan-06.pdf

I recently received a big 10 year investment programme book at work
which details the business plan's projects. There is a lot of stuff in
it ranging from cycling initiatives, bus station and bus garage
improvements to big issues like West London Congestion Zone extension,
the PPP for the Tube and DLR improvements. At present there is the
opportunity for TfL to raise money on the markets for investment in
addition to a fairly generous central government settlement. Ken has
clearly decided that he has to switch money to rail improvements because
if he does not he will find the financial tap turned off if there is any
sort of economic blip that causes the Treasury to look at spending. He
has therefore judged that extending DLR, making two lines capable of 3
car trains, ELLX plus NLL / WLL / Goblin enhancements are worth getting
done now while the money is there. There is also the issue of Crossrail
but I have doubts that will ever be built. There is also the Olympics
which is another "one off" opportunity but much of what is being done
now is part of our Olympic bid. There is not a lot extra in transport
terms for the Olympics barring the provision of special Olympics bus
services which may then leave a legacy in terms of new bus services /
vehicles.

If you take the rational view and say "would I rather have a fantastic
bus network that can be switched off at the touch of a financial button
or would I rather have rails and tunnels and new train services that
will last for decades?" - you'd opt for the rail enhancements. While I
am disappointed about the bus network developments being postponed I'd
much rather see the rail projects delivered as I believe DLR is an
excellent system and I look forward to the ELLX and other orbital lines
being developed.

--
Paul C