Old January 29th 06, 04:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Making the B14 even worse

The B14 seems to be London's least reliable bus service. Passengers
often don't know whether the bus that turns up is 5 minutes early or 25
minutes late!

Every time there's a change of operator, the service gets worse. When
Crystals originally got the route, the passengers groaned (as Crystals
had once operated the precursor route unreliably) but it got worse when
TGM took it over, and even worse when they lost it!

It's not just changing the operating company that decreases reliability.
When the route was extended to Orpington, it got substantially busier,
but even less reliable (despite the greatly increased recovery time).
AIUI This was partly due to sharing a lot of the route with the R11
which runs every 20 minutes. It was announced in the News Shopper that
the B14 service was going to be increased to 3bph, but that was about 3
years ago and nothing's come of it yet!

And now they want to make the service less convenient. Kimberley Drive
(Sidcup) is a long steep hill that many of the local old people (of
which there are many) can no longer climb. Therefore they rely on the
bus to get to Albany Park station or to the doctor's surgery. The B14 in
that area is on a loop, with part of Bexley Lane used twice - presumably
because of difficulty turning right onto it from Longmead Drive.
However, now the operators don't want to turn left onto it from Longmead
Drive either. It has been announced that they intend to make the B14 go
down Kimberley Drive on both northbound and southbound journeys,
depriving pensioners of the only sensible way to get to the top of the
hill!

Are they trying to run this route down?

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk

Old January 29th 06, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:42:42 +1030, (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

The B14 seems to be London's least reliable bus service. Passengers
often don't know whether the bus that turns up is 5 minutes early or 25
minutes late!

Every time there's a change of operator, the service gets worse. When
Crystals originally got the route, the passengers groaned (as Crystals
had once operated the precursor route unreliably) but it got worse when
TGM took it over, and even worse when they lost it!

In each case the company sold out. Crystals sold out to TGM. TGM sold
out to Metrobus. I'm not aware anyone lost the route due to poor
performance.

It's not just changing the operating company that decreases reliability.
When the route was extended to Orpington, it got substantially busier,
but even less reliable (despite the greatly increased recovery time).
AIUI This was partly due to sharing a lot of the route with the R11
which runs every 20 minutes. It was announced in the News Shopper that
the B14 service was going to be increased to 3bph, but that was about 3
years ago and nothing's come of it yet!

I hate to report that there will be no frequency increase when the new
contract starts on 4 Feb 2006. It will be a quality incentive contract
which *may* mean a better overall performance but that will depend on
whether TfL are funding extra resources or running time. Looking at the
performance reports on the TfL website the trend seems to be improving
but I would agree that the actual performance level is very poor.
However be pleased that Centra don't run your services - now that really
is awful.

And now they want to make the service less convenient. Kimberley Drive
(Sidcup) is a long steep hill that many of the local old people (of
which there are many) can no longer climb. Therefore they rely on the
bus to get to Albany Park station or to the doctor's surgery. The B14 in
that area is on a loop, with part of Bexley Lane used twice - presumably
because of difficulty turning right onto it from Longmead Drive.
However, now the operators don't want to turn left onto it from Longmead
Drive either. It has been announced that they intend to make the B14 go
down Kimberley Drive on both northbound and southbound journeys,
depriving pensioners of the only sensible way to get to the top of the
hill!

I don't know the area but this is what the official route change
document says

"Operation retained by Metrobus (Orpington - MB) when new quality
incentive contract commences using existing low floor single deck
vehicles. Re-routed towards Bexleyheath from Crittalls Corner via Cray
Road and Watery Lane to Frognal Place (instead of operating via Sidcup
By Pass (A20), Frognal Corner, Chislehurst Road and Frognal Avenue).
Also Albany Park/Royal Park loop reversed - therefore buses towards
Orpington will operate from Foots Cray Lane via Longmead Drive,
Kimberley Drive, Maylands Drive and Royal Road to Bexley Road
(section of Bexley Lane between Longmead Drive and Royal Road will no
longer by served by buses towards Orpington).

I suspect this confirms what you have said.

Are they trying to run this route down?

I doubt it but there is little extra money around to fund improvements
to routes like this. The next phases of the bus improvement programme
were halted to divert money to the tube and rail parts of TfL. This
will explain why the frequency enhancement never happened - as is the
case London wide with route proposals being axed all over the place.
--
Paul C

Old January 29th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Jan 2006 07:01:08 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:42:42 +1030, (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

snip

Are they trying to run this route down?

I doubt it but there is little extra money around to fund improvements
to routes like this. The next phases of the bus improvement programme
were halted to divert money to the tube and rail parts of TfL. This
will explain why the frequency enhancement never happened - as is the
case London wide with route proposals being axed all over the place.

Out of interest, when you say the nest phases of the bus imporvement
programme have been shelved, can I just ask yout to elaborate on that a
little more, i.e. what did the planned improvements mainly consist of -
frequency improvements, new routes on busy bus corridors, more
comprehensive coverage of previously underserved areas etc?

London Buses commissioned a strategic review of their bus network and
associated policies like tendering and whether they were securing value
for money. The intent was to carry on the sorts of policies and
enhancements witnessed for the Congestion Zone changes but in the
suburbs. The report is here.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/...egicreview.pdf

The improvement to London's bus services since TfL took over has been a
great achievement, and I hope that here isn't going to be a
retrenchment in services in years to come.

I think you will find that there will be a very real financial struggle
in the next 4-5 years. There are plenty of "smoke signals" wafting from
the Treasury and DfT that indicate that transport spending is for the
chop. The railways will take the main brunt but I expect things like the
London Bus network and the Tube will also face severe scrutiny. It is
likely that Ken will be voted out or will not stand at the next Mayoral
election. Regardless of who wins I am of the view that they will not
have the same support from the government regardless of who is Prime
Minister. The electoral imperative to do show results will have vanished
for 4 years at that point.

Also, Paul, as someone with their finger on the pulse, what is your
assesment of how well TfL is prioritising their spending, given what
you say above about cash being diverted to the tube and railways?

I don't really have my finger on the pulse. Much of the information is
readily available in the TfL Board papers that anyone can read on the
TfL website.

The business plan certainly highlights key priorities and funding
sources. Be warned it is a big document!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...ss-plan-06.pdf

I recently received a big 10 year investment programme book at work
which details the business plan's projects. There is a lot of stuff in
it ranging from cycling initiatives, bus station and bus garage
improvements to big issues like West London Congestion Zone extension,
the PPP for the Tube and DLR improvements. At present there is the
opportunity for TfL to raise money on the markets for investment in
addition to a fairly generous central government settlement. Ken has
clearly decided that he has to switch money to rail improvements because
if he does not he will find the financial tap turned off if there is any
sort of economic blip that causes the Treasury to look at spending. He
has therefore judged that extending DLR, making two lines capable of 3
car trains, ELLX plus NLL / WLL / Goblin enhancements are worth getting
done now while the money is there. There is also the issue of Crossrail
but I have doubts that will ever be built. There is also the Olympics
which is another "one off" opportunity but much of what is being done
now is part of our Olympic bid. There is not a lot extra in transport
terms for the Olympics barring the provision of special Olympics bus
services which may then leave a legacy in terms of new bus services /
vehicles.

If you take the rational view and say "would I rather have a fantastic
bus network that can be switched off at the touch of a financial button
or would I rather have rails and tunnels and new train services that
will last for decades?" - you'd opt for the rail enhancements. While I
am disappointed about the bus network developments being postponed I'd
much rather see the rail projects delivered as I believe DLR is an
excellent system and I look forward to the ELLX and other orbital lines
being developed.

--
Paul C

Old January 29th 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So.....we may yet see a return of the Routemaster....?

Old January 30th 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:43:12 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

It is likely that Ken will be voted out or will not stand at the next
Mayoral election.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't stand - surely he still wants to be
Mayor when the Olympics come around?

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old January 30th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It is
likely that Ken will be voted out or will not stand at the next Mayoral
election.

Is it? Why? (Don't tell us why you don't like Ken, tell us why he
won't get in again.)
Old January 30th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It is
likely that Ken will be voted out or will not stand at the next Mayoral
election.

Is it? Why? (Don't tell us why you don't like Ken, tell us why he
won't get in again.)

These are my musings. My view of Ken is not relevant. I am not a member
of any political party so claim no inside knowledge.

If Gordon Brown is the Labour Leader then I think there may be pressure
for someone other than Ken to be the Mayoral candidate. There is too
much friction between those two for an amiable working relationship to
persist in my view. There will also be the inevitable clash on funding
for London and I don't see the current high levels being maintained.

I also wonder whether Ken will really want to stand for a third term.
Yes there is the Olympics but he'd get invited to that anyway. I get a
sense he is getting tired and there is a lot of evidence building up as
to the cost of his policies and also their effectiveness. I think there
will be a backlash amongst a cross section of the electorate against
what he stands for and how much it all costs. I've always thought Ken
would want to go at a time of his choosing rather then being booted out
by the electorate.

The other factor is the national political scene. Labour may struggle to
win the next election with any great majority and its policies, like
Ken's, are under huge scrutiny as to whether they have or can
deliver(ed). Again the momentum behind Labour's policies seems to be
flagging. The Tories appear to be reviving - it's early days I accept -
but I think a significant part of the London electorate will look for a
change in City Hall leadership. I have no idea who the Tory candidate
would be - I doubt Steve Norris would be up for a third go - but if they
get someone who is even reasonably electorally attractive with
reasonable policies I think they could knock Labour out of power. London
is not a Labour city - history indicates that the political landscape
can change quite considerably.
--
Paul C

Old February 6th 06, 04:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The B14 seems to be London's least reliable bus service. Passengers
often don't know whether the bus that turns up is 5 minutes early or 25
minutes late!

Every time there's a change of operator, the service gets worse. When
Crystals originally got the route, the passengers groaned (as Crystals
had once operated the precursor route unreliably) but it got worse when
TGM took it over, and even worse when they lost it!

In each case the company sold out. Crystals sold out to TGM. TGM sold
out to Metrobus. I'm not aware anyone lost the route due to poor
performance.

I didn't claim they lost it due to poor performance. I thought that TGM
lost it because the 5 years were up - I hadn't realised Metrobus had
bought the company!

(snip)
[...]

Yes it does.

I've since heard that the plan to use Watery Lane has been abandoned due
to doubts over whether buses can fit down a road that narrow (even
though they seem to manage OK on the R2 and R5). This must mean that
someone is capable of reversing the changes. Any idea who?