Old April 28th 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Chris! Chris! is offline

Default New camera scam

John Rowland wrote:
The City Of London Police have announced that they will prosecute not only
drivers who go through the final stop line when the traffic light is reds,
but also drivers who go through the initial stop line before the cycle box.

About time too. I can only recall two occasions on my daily cycle
commute when there haven't been cars in the cycle box. The rule about
not enroaching the cycle box has been in the highway code for some
years now but is being blatently ignored. It looks like the only way
to get people to follow the rules is to enforce them. Even the cars
which stop behind their line manage to drift forward to the cycle line
on most occasions

This makes it noticeably harder to stop legally during the amber phase.

How? Why are you driving if you can stop at the white line before the
lights. Maybe something they can do to help you would be to have a set
of repeater lights

don't see how the police can do this without lengthening the amber phase to
compensate, but even that doesn't really help. I think the only fair
solution is to remove the final stop line - since cyclists have no license
plates, the final stop line no longer serves any purpose

It does - it tells me where to stop my bike. It's purpose is to make
it safe for me to cycle by not letting me cycle through a junction
while there is conflicting traffic

snip

Incidentally, I waited immediately behind the cycle box yesterday for the
green light for turning right from Silvertown Way to George Street, and
after about five minutes the driver behind tapped on my window and informed
me that the sensor only activated if I pulled my car forward onto the green
box!

So I presume you reported the fault?