Old June 2nd 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default How many months Travelcard should I get

On Wed, 31 May 2006 16:10:01 -0500, Tristán White wrote:

I am hoping to be at work from next Monday, for at least a year and a half,
using the tube every day except the odd weekend, and for 4 weeks' holiday
and a couple of weeks off unpaid, when I will not be travelling, as I will
be recovering for an operation on my ear later this year.

Which works out cheaper?

1 year from Monday, meaning that I lose out on getting another year on 31
December at the current price, as I would be have to pay next year's rates
when renewing in June 2007.

A 7 month travelcard from Monday, meaning that I get the chance of getting
a whole year on 31 December at the current price.

Individual monthly, and occasional, weekly season tickets until 31
December, meaning I save by not having a travelcard I will not be using for
the time I am recovering from my op or on holiday?

I have a feeling the answer depends on exactly what day of the year
you're going to get fired/leave/whatever, so one would need to do a
complicated probability-based calculation, but off the top of my head,
I'd say go for the last option. Don't forget you can buy season
tickets for any period longer than a month, pro-rata at the monthly
rate (so for example, you can buy a 37-day Travelcard for less than
the price of a monthly plus a weekly).

Or can I get that back anyway, even if I *do* get a season ticket?

No, I don't believe so.