Old May 31st 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How many months Travelcard should I get

I'm going to be working now full-time, so time to get rid of PAYG and move
back to season tickets again. Hurrah! No more wondering whether or not to
swipe or not to swipe! I can use the full Silverlink! Yee ha!

Yeah I'm being a bit sarcastic.

But back to question.

I am hoping to be at work from next Monday, for at least a year and a half,
using the tube every day except the odd weekend, and for 4 weeks' holiday
and a couple of weeks off unpaid, when I will not be travelling, as I will
be recovering for an operation on my ear later this year.

Which works out cheaper?

1 year from Monday, meaning that I lose out on getting another year on 31
December at the current price, as I would be have to pay next year's rates
when renewing in June 2007.

A 7 month travelcard from Monday, meaning that I get the chance of getting
a whole year on 31 December at the current price.

Individual monthly, and occasional, weekly season tickets until 31
December, meaning I save by not having a travelcard I will not be using for
the time I am recovering from my op or on holiday?

Or can I get that back anyway, even if I *do* get a season ticket?
Confused.com here.

Ta!

Old June 2nd 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 31 May 2006 16:10:01 -0500, Tristán White wrote:

I am hoping to be at work from next Monday, for at least a year and a half,
using the tube every day except the odd weekend, and for 4 weeks' holiday
and a couple of weeks off unpaid, when I will not be travelling, as I will
be recovering for an operation on my ear later this year.

Which works out cheaper?

1 year from Monday, meaning that I lose out on getting another year on 31
December at the current price, as I would be have to pay next year's rates
when renewing in June 2007.

A 7 month travelcard from Monday, meaning that I get the chance of getting
a whole year on 31 December at the current price.

Individual monthly, and occasional, weekly season tickets until 31
December, meaning I save by not having a travelcard I will not be using for
the time I am recovering from my op or on holiday?

I have a feeling the answer depends on exactly what day of the year
you're going to get fired/leave/whatever, so one would need to do a
complicated probability-based calculation, but off the top of my head,
I'd say go for the last option. Don't forget you can buy season
tickets for any period longer than a month, pro-rata at the monthly
rate (so for example, you can buy a 37-day Travelcard for less than
the price of a monthly plus a weekly).

Or can I get that back anyway, even if I *do* get a season ticket?

No, I don't believe so.
Old June 2nd 06, 02:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote in
:
I have a feeling the answer depends on exactly what day of the year
you're going to get fired/leave/whatever, so one would need to do a

SNIP

Ahh but then you just cancel the card and apply for a refund of the
remaining days....

Thanks for the answer, though.
Old June 2nd 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 21:42:40 -0500, Tristán White wrote:

I have a feeling the answer depends on exactly what day of the year
you're going to get fired/leave/whatever, so one would need to do a

SNIP

Ahh but then you just cancel the card and apply for a refund of the
remaining days....

I'd already taken that into account. If you started yesterday (1 June)
and worked until 31 May in any year, it'd be cheaper to cover the
whole lot with annuals. But if you worked until 31 Dec (2007 or
later), it'd be cheaper to start with monthlies at 2006 prices, then
switch to annuals at the end of the year, rather than starting with
annuals then buying monthlies (retrospectively) for the final 6
months.

Not something worth worrying about, though.
Old June 2nd 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote in
:

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 21:42:40 -0500, Tristán White wrote:

I have a feeling the answer depends on exactly what day of the year
you're going to get fired/leave/whatever, so one would need to do a

SNIP

Ahh but then you just cancel the card and apply for a refund of the
remaining days....

I'd already taken that into account. If you started yesterday (1 June)
and worked until 31 May in any year, it'd be cheaper to cover the
whole lot with annuals. But if you worked until 31 Dec (2007 or
later), it'd be cheaper to start with monthlies at 2006 prices, then
switch to annuals at the end of the year, rather than starting with
annuals then buying monthlies (retrospectively) for the final 6
months.

Not something worth worrying about, though.

Can one buy an 18 month travelcard?

If not, don't see why not (considering that the cost now is the same as it
will be on 31 December)