Old June 12th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default OTish: Laptops on planes - hand luggage?

purple pete wrote:
Saw the hullaballo recently of BAA clamping down on the minisized suitcases
on wheels that people are taking on aircraft as "hand baggage" because they
are too bulky and slow security down etc.

I want to take my laptop (in its own case) and 1 medium sized ruck sack
(which im certain will fit in the "tester" cage you see near the check in
desks.

Anyone know if laptop cases are allowed AS WELL AS the ruck sack or INSTEAD
OF IT?

I also do have one of those small trolley cases as well but am reluctant to
use it in case some busy body decides i have to "check it in"

My main reason for asking is that apart from the laptop i need to take some
high value items like cameras and chargers etc and the last thing I want is
to be putting those "in the hold" with a risk of them going missing.

Anyone know how rigidly these new rules about trolley cases are being
enfored?

No idea of the rules, but I've taken a trolley case and a laptop as hand
luggage on a number of UK and European flights with a number of airlines
from a number of airports over the last 2 years, and had no problems.

My only caveat is that I've had the laptop bag on my shoulder and have
NEVER waved it at them and said "Look! I've got this too - is that OK?"