Old June 12th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OTish: Laptops on planes - hand luggage?

Saw the hullaballo recently of BAA clamping down on the minisized suitcases
on wheels that people are taking on aircraft as "hand baggage" because they
are too bulky and slow security down etc.

I want to take my laptop (in its own case) and 1 medium sized ruck sack
(which im certain will fit in the "tester" cage you see near the check in
desks.

Anyone know if laptop cases are allowed AS WELL AS the ruck sack or INSTEAD
OF IT?

I also do have one of those small trolley cases as well but am reluctant to
use it in case some busy body decides i have to "check it in"

My main reason for asking is that apart from the laptop i need to take some
high value items like cameras and chargers etc and the last thing I want is
to be putting those "in the hold" with a risk of them going missing.

Anyone know how rigidly these new rules about trolley cases are being
enfored?

Flying out from Gatwick if it helps.

Thanks

Old June 12th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

purple pete wrote:
Saw the hullaballo recently of BAA clamping down on the minisized suitcases
on wheels that people are taking on aircraft as "hand baggage" because they
are too bulky and slow security down etc.

I want to take my laptop (in its own case) and 1 medium sized ruck sack
(which im certain will fit in the "tester" cage you see near the check in
desks.

Anyone know if laptop cases are allowed AS WELL AS the ruck sack or INSTEAD
OF IT?

Easyjet have never caused me a problem. AIUI Hand baggage is a carrier
thing (hence weight and size varies between airlines), rather than an
airport thing.

Old June 12th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

purple pete wrote:
Saw the hullaballo recently of BAA clamping down on the minisized
suitcases on wheels that people are taking on aircraft as "hand
baggage" because they are too bulky and slow security down etc.

I want to take my laptop (in its own case) and 1 medium sized ruck
sack (which im certain will fit in the "tester" cage you see near
the check in desks.

Anyone know if laptop cases are allowed AS WELL AS the ruck sack or
INSTEAD OF IT?

Check with your airline. Some allow a laptop in addition to one bag,
for others it's strictly one bag only.
--
Richard J.

Old June 12th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

purple pete wrote:
[...]

No idea of the rules, but I've taken a trolley case and a laptop as hand
luggage on a number of UK and European flights with a number of airlines
from a number of airports over the last 2 years, and had no problems.

My only caveat is that I've had the laptop bag on my shoulder and have
NEVER waved it at them and said "Look! I've got this too - is that OK?"
Old June 13th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

purple pete wrote:
Saw the hullaballo recently of BAA clamping down on the minisized suitcases
on wheels that people are taking on aircraft as "hand baggage" because they
are too bulky and slow security down etc.

I want to take my laptop (in its own case) and 1 medium sized ruck sack
(which im certain will fit in the "tester" cage you see near the check in
desks.

Anyone know if laptop cases are allowed AS WELL AS the ruck sack or INSTEAD
OF IT?

Depends on the airline and sometimes on the aircraft. The last airline
I flew with was KLM - out of Manchester rather than London. On most
flights, as I understood it, you're allowed a carry-on and a laptop
bag, but on flights operated by smaller commuter aircraft you're
allowed one carry-on *only*. This has been the case, in my experience,
on most North American airlines as well (I'm British, but I live in
Canada at the moment).

Stephen