Old June 14th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
victormeldrewsyoungerbrother victormeldrewsyoungerbrother is offline

Default Spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham

lantern wrote:
I was looking on Google maps at the uxbridge branch of the met line, and I
noticed a spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham.

I followed this spur and it seemed to link to a depot and then towards the
central / chiltern line.

I had no idea this connection existed. Is this connection in use?

Also when LU send stock to leeds / derby for repair why do they use road
freight instead of rail?

Looking at Joe Brown's London Railway Atlas there is no spur between
Ickenham and Hillingdon, but there is between Ickenham and Ruislip.
This was built in 1973 to enable Piccadilly (I think) stock to access
Ruislip Depot for maintenance and repair. There is a head shunt to the
west of West Ruislip station which has connections with the main line,
which used to be used for stock transfer. If it's not used now, I guess
that it's because of the usual daft story - road transport is cheaper.
The Met/Central spur is still in use SFAIA