Old June 14th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham

I was looking on Google maps at the uxbridge branch of the met line, and I
noticed a spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham.

I followed this spur and it seemed to link to a depot and then towards the
central / chiltern line.

I had no idea this connection existed. Is this connection in use?

Also when LU send stock to leeds / derby for repair why do they use road
freight instead of rail?

Old June 14th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

lantern wrote:
I was looking on Google maps at the uxbridge branch of the met line, and I
noticed a spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham.

I followed this spur and it seemed to link to a depot and then towards the
central / chiltern line.

I had no idea this connection existed. Is this connection in use?

Also when LU send stock to leeds / derby for repair why do they use road
freight instead of rail?

Looking at Joe Brown's London Railway Atlas there is no spur between
Ickenham and Hillingdon, but there is between Ickenham and Ruislip.
This was built in 1973 to enable Piccadilly (I think) stock to access
Ruislip Depot for maintenance and repair. There is a head shunt to the
west of West Ruislip station which has connections with the main line,
which used to be used for stock transfer. If it's not used now, I guess
that it's because of the usual daft story - road transport is cheaper.
The Met/Central spur is still in use SFAIA

Old June 14th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, victormeldrewsyoungerbrother wrote:

lantern wrote:

I was looking on Google maps at the uxbridge branch of the met line, and I
noticed a spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham.

I followed this spur and it seemed to link to a depot and then towards the
central / chiltern line.

I had no idea this connection existed. Is this connection in use?

Looking at Joe Brown's London Railway Atlas there is no spur between
Ickenham and Hillingdon, but there is between Ickenham and Ruislip.

I can see that one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...27122&t=k&om=1
http://tinyurl.com/ha38r

And nothing between Hillingdon and Ickenham; i assume that's a typo
(mappo?).

In the aerial photo, it looks like there's some sort of goods train
sitting on the spur - ballast wagons? Ah, no - not on the spur, on a
siding parallel to it, that looks like it may once have continued on
alongside the track.

tom

--
I'm not quite sure how that works but I like it ...
Old June 14th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

lantern wrote:

[...]

I looked at google earth, which I can get slightly bigger than that
map - we are talking about the same spur, trailing in to the
'down'line, leading to West Ruislip depot it is def between Ruislip and
Ickenham

Old June 14th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

lantern wrote:
[...]

I think that new stock was delivered to Ruislip depot for commissioning
before going into service, rather than going back there for
maintenance. I don't know how long this went on for or if it still
does.

Old June 14th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

lantern wrote:

Is this connection in use?

AFAIK the track repair trains from Ruislip Depot use the spur to reach much
of the network.

Old June 14th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
lantern wrote:

Is this connection in use?

AFAIK the track repair trains from Ruislip Depot use the spur to reach
much of the network.

The siding is used daily by Piccadilly trains terminating at Ruislip.

Old June 15th 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

h.li...

lantern wrote:

I was looking on Google maps at the uxbridge branch of the met line, and
noticed a spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham.

snip

And nothing between Hillingdon and Ickenham; i assume that's a typo
(mappo?).

No, it's a carto. "Typo" is a contraction of "typographical error". The art
of drawing maps is cartography, so it's a "cartographical error", which
contracts to "carto".

--
MatSav

Old June 15th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, it was written:

lantern wrote:

I was looking on Google maps at the uxbridge branch of the met line,
and I noticed a spur between Hillingdon and Ickenham.

And nothing between Hillingdon and Ickenham; i assume that's a typo
(mappo?).

No, it's a carto. "Typo" is a contraction of "typographical error". The
art of drawing maps is cartography, so it's a "cartographical error",
which contracts to "carto".

This wasn't an error in drawing a map, it was an error in reading one.
What's the technical name for map reading? By analogy to
cryptography/cryptanalysis, perhaps it's cartanalysis!

tom

--
find porn apricot