Old August 18th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Mizter T wrote:
Martin Underwood wrote:

Martin Underwood wrote in message
:

Every Strangers Eyes wrote in message
:

I got off the bus feeling very self rightous but what are peoples
thoughts on this?
Tell the driver you're going to throw up. They soon let you off.
It's worth a try, especially if you go up to his cab and lean in
towards him as you say it!!!

When buses are on a planned diversion, so the drivers make any effort
to warn the passengers beforehand, so as to say "this is the last
stop [before the diversion] where you can get off for the next n
miles"? Silly question - I'm sure they don't - that would involve
thinking of their passengers' needs before the needs of Health and
Safety.

Sorry, that should read "When buses are on a planned diversion, DO the
drivers make any effort..."

Occasionally they do, more often than not they don't. Would be great if
it became standard practice.

Nobody, apart from you, has made any connection to health and safety
rules precluding drivers making announcements. Basic common sense would
suggest that as buses are now often fitted with PA systems there is no
such exclusion. Basic common sense would also suggest that
announcements are not best made when a driver is negotiating a
difficult section of road.

The lack of announcements woud appear to be a case of poor practice,
perhaps in part because the lack of PA systems until recently means
there hasn't been time for such a good practice to emerge, rather a
result of the ever present H&S gremlin that many appear to believe is
perpetually lurking in the shadows pulling the strings on order to
frustrate them.

I think announcements when driving conditions permit would be a big
bonus. I've noticed some bendy bus drivers making them. I'd really
appreciate announcements that a bus is going to terminate short -
sometimes they change destination mid-route without telling anyone,
which is extremely frustrating.

The new iBus system should take care of routine announcements for
upcoming stops.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7