Old August 26th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr Ivan D. Reid Dr Ivan D. Reid is offline

Default Of failing Oyster cards

One thing and another, I've not attempted to use my Oyster card
lately (it was getting more and more recalcitrant on the buses; the only
time it worked in the last 7 or 8 attempts was the only time I've had
an inspector check my ticket!).

So today I walked into UXB and asked about a replacement (the
ticket machine couldn't read it, nor apparently the machine in the ticket
booth when I first presented it). I was given a form to fill in, and
asked to produce ID (I had my driving licence with me). I was also asked
to estimate how much was left on the (prepay only) card. I put down £18
because the last time I used it I believe the balance shown was £17.60.
There was a slight confusion about the need to put down a security code --
I thought it must have been for the old one, and left it blank, but the
ticket officer insisted I filled it in so I took it to be for the new one
-- and filled in the password I use for on-line access anyhow.

So, I was issued with a new card, pre-credited with £18 -- I presume
that will be adjusted somehow once they check their records for the exact
credit. Oh what a relief to get on the U1 and have the Oyster reader's
LED change from yellow to green when I "swiped"! (My arthritic ankles were
also pleased...)

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN