Old August 26th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Of failing Oyster cards

One thing and another, I've not attempted to use my Oyster card
lately (it was getting more and more recalcitrant on the buses; the only
time it worked in the last 7 or 8 attempts was the only time I've had
an inspector check my ticket!).

So today I walked into UXB and asked about a replacement (the
ticket machine couldn't read it, nor apparently the machine in the ticket
booth when I first presented it). I was given a form to fill in, and
asked to produce ID (I had my driving licence with me). I was also asked
to estimate how much was left on the (prepay only) card. I put down £18
because the last time I used it I believe the balance shown was £17.60.
There was a slight confusion about the need to put down a security code --
I thought it must have been for the old one, and left it blank, but the
ticket officer insisted I filled it in so I took it to be for the new one
-- and filled in the password I use for on-line access anyhow.

So, I was issued with a new card, pre-credited with £18 -- I presume
that will be adjusted somehow once they check their records for the exact
credit. Oh what a relief to get on the U1 and have the Oyster reader's
LED change from yellow to green when I "swiped"! (My arthritic ankles were
also pleased...)

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old August 29th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:13:37 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
wrote:
[...]
So today I walked into UXB and asked about a replacement (the
ticket machine couldn't read it, nor apparently the machine in the ticket
booth when I first presented it). I was given a form to fill in, and
asked to produce ID (I had my driving licence with me). I was also asked
to estimate how much was left on the (prepay only) card. I put down £18
because the last time I used it I believe the balance shown was £17.60.

That's exactly what happened to me on Friday - my card was becoming
unusable on the bus, although it worked better on the underground and
always at a ticket machine. I estimated (the "Failed Oyster Card"
form even calls it an estimate) the pre-pay amount at £13.80 - in fact
it was £13.40.

So, I was issued with a new card, pre-credited with £18 -- I presume
that will be adjusted somehow once they check their records for the exact
credit.

Not sure how they're going to do that! I also wonder whether my auto
top-up has made it across to the new card. Removing that would have
given them a chance to make any adjustments later I suppose. The
whole process seemed to take quite a while - I'd have thought two taps
each of the old card and the new card (at the most) and a lookup to
see that the personal details I'd entered were correct would have done
it. Incidentally, the web site still thinks I have the old card, with
the old balance, and doesn't know about the new one. Maybe I should
attempt to register it?

Richard.
Old August 29th 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry to have a conversation with myself, but...

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:14:04 +0100, I wrote:

[About swapping a defective Oyster for a new one]
I also wonder whether my auto top-up has made it across to the new card.

[and...]
Incidentally, the web site still thinks I have the old card, with
the old balance, and doesn't know about the new one. Maybe I should
attempt to register it?

Well, I did register the new card - although I would have thought it
should already have been associated with my account at the station.
The new card *doesn't* have auto top-up, and the old card is still
showing, with the balance it had when I handed it in.

This can't be the way it is supposed to work?!!

Richard.
Old August 30th 06, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

[About swapping a defective Oyster for a new one]
I also wonder whether my auto top-up has made it across to the new card.

[and...]
Incidentally, the web site still thinks I have the old card, with
the old balance, and doesn't know about the new one. Maybe I should
attempt to register it?

Well, I did register the new card - although I would have thought it
should already have been associated with my account at the station.
The new card *doesn't* have auto top-up, and the old card is still
showing, with the balance it had when I handed it in.

This can't be the way it is supposed to work?!!

You have to email ask Oyster and ask for your old card to be "disassociated"
from your account.

Auto top up cannot be transferred by the station staff.

Old August 30th 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:47:47 +0100, "tkd" wrote:
You have to email ask Oyster and ask for your old card to be "disassociated"
from your account.

Auto top up cannot be transferred by the station staff.

Thanks, I will.

Richard.