Old August 29th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Of failing Oyster cards

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:13:37 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
wrote:
[...]
So today I walked into UXB and asked about a replacement (the
ticket machine couldn't read it, nor apparently the machine in the ticket
booth when I first presented it). I was given a form to fill in, and
asked to produce ID (I had my driving licence with me). I was also asked
to estimate how much was left on the (prepay only) card. I put down £18
because the last time I used it I believe the balance shown was £17.60.

That's exactly what happened to me on Friday - my card was becoming
unusable on the bus, although it worked better on the underground and
always at a ticket machine. I estimated (the "Failed Oyster Card"
form even calls it an estimate) the pre-pay amount at £13.80 - in fact
it was £13.40.

So, I was issued with a new card, pre-credited with £18 -- I presume
that will be adjusted somehow once they check their records for the exact
credit.

Not sure how they're going to do that! I also wonder whether my auto
top-up has made it across to the new card. Removing that would have
given them a chance to make any adjustments later I suppose. The
whole process seemed to take quite a while - I'd have thought two taps
each of the old card and the new card (at the most) and a lookup to
see that the personal details I'd entered were correct would have done
it. Incidentally, the web site still thinks I have the old card, with
the old balance, and doesn't know about the new one. Maybe I should
attempt to register it?

Richard.