Old August 31st 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Would Oyster benefit me?

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:51:08 +0100, Demiurge wrote:

From September 11th I'll be travelling from East Croydon to Brixton (train
from E.Croydon to Victoria, then tube to Brixton), peak times, on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning to buy a one-day travel card each day
(£10.40 per day). Would Oyster be of any use to me, i.e. reduce my costs at
all? I've never used it before.

In a word, no. However, you would be able to reduce your costs by
avoiding travelling through Zone 1.

Possible routes would be:

East Croydon - Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Brixton
East Croydon - Balham - Stockwell - Brixton
East Croydon - Herne Hill - Brixton (not many trains on these routes)
East Croydon - Beckenham Junction (Tramlink) - Brixton

This would enable you to travel on a Z2-6 Peak One Day Travelcard at
£7.40 per day.

For the routes that involve NR and Tube, you could get a return ticket
rather than a Travelcard for £6.80 (Z2-5 "Tube/DLR - Train" fare).

If you use the route via Herne Hill (you may also have to change at
Tulse Hill), you could use a Standard Day Return which would cost
£3.80.

HTH