Old September 8th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Question from a London visitor . . .

In message , J. Chisholm
writes
Richard wrote:
Question for all you experts out there . . .
I will be in London for a week and in the past i would just buy a
tube
pass for the week. Is there a better travel card if i planned to use
the tube a great deal? I might take the bus now and again but the tube
will be my main transport.
Any advice is appreciated (and I mean that sincerely)
Richard

As others have said, a Travelcard of some variety is what you need.
If you are a tourist, I reccomend using the buses, as although it takes
longer, you see far more, once you've got the travel card it is FREE,
unlike tour buses.
Although I don't live in London, whenever we've had foreign vistors,
and gone to London, we've generally used the buses. The top front of a
double decker can give a wonderful view.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Our favourite was to go from Paddington Station to Tower Bridge. Don't
know which services run double deckers at the moment.

That journey is undertaken by the 15 (indeed with double deckers). The
Trafalgar Square - Tower section is also covered by the "Heritage" 15
service, which uses traditional Routemaster buses. Travelcards are
valid on this (and the similar Heritage 9).

Other great routes for sightseeing are the 11 and 8.

Happy travelling!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK