Old September 6th 06, 03:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Question from a London visitor . . .

Question for all you experts out there . . .

I will be in London for a week and in the past i would just buy a tube
pass for the week. Is there a better travel card if i planned to use
the tube a great deal? I might take the bus now and again but the tube
will be my main transport.

Any advice is appreciated (and I mean that sincerely)

Richard

Old September 6th 06, 06:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard" wrote in message
Question for all you experts out there . . .

I will be in London for a week and in the past i would just buy a tube
pass for the week. Is there a better travel card if i planned to use
the tube a great deal? I might take the bus now and again but the tube
will be my main transport.

Any advice is appreciated (and I mean that sincerely)

Richard

Probably a Travelcard will do the business but go to here
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...06/index.shtml for everything you
ever wanted to know about the right ticket (and more)!

MaxB

Old September 6th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard wrote:
Question for all you experts out there . . .

I will be in London for a week and in the past i would just buy a tube
pass for the week. Is there a better travel card if i planned to use
the tube a great deal? I might take the bus now and again but the tube
will be my main transport.

I'm hardly an expert in these matters, but I think I'll chime in anyway.

On my recent three-week visit to London, I started off with a Z1-3 week
Travelcard, since I was traveling around a lot and ventured
semiregularly to Z3 (I was staying in Z1). But after a few days, it
occurred to me that week Travelcards are priced for commuters, while I
was generally not embarking on any Tube trips before 9:30, so, if I
instead used pay-as-you-go, I'd be eligible for the much less expensive
off-peak daily caps. So after that first week, I switched to PAYG, with
off-peak day Travelcards for those days when I'd be riding National Rail
within the zones, and I ended up saving a bundle.

Without more details on your travel habits (which zones you expect to
typically travel in and how often you plan to go outside them, how early
in the morning you leave, whether there are some days that you don't
plan to do much if any riding at all, etc.), it's hard to give you a
precise answer. MaxB has given you a pointer to the definitive source
of all information regarding fares, so you can run the numbers yourself.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old September 8th 06, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard wrote:
Question for all you experts out there . . .

I will be in London for a week and in the past i would just buy a tube
pass for the week. Is there a better travel card if i planned to use
the tube a great deal? I might take the bus now and again but the tube
will be my main transport.

Any advice is appreciated (and I mean that sincerely)

Richard

As others have said, a Travelcard of some variety is what you need.
If you are a tourist, I reccomend using the buses, as although it takes
longer, you see far more, once you've got the travel card it is FREE,
unlike tour buses.
Although I don't live in London, whenever we've had foreign vistors, and
gone to London, we've generally used the buses. The top front of a
double decker can give a wonderful view. Our favourite was to go from
Paddington Station to Tower Bridge. Don't know which services run double
deckers at the moment.

Jim Chisholm

Old September 8th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

RIZA BOZKAN ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

You choice the best transport service in the world which is underground
cause it is fast , easy and comfortable

I'll let you have ONE of those three...
Old September 8th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , J. Chisholm
writes
Richard wrote:
Question for all you experts out there . . .
I will be in London for a week and in the past i would just buy a
tube
pass for the week. Is there a better travel card if i planned to use
the tube a great deal? I might take the bus now and again but the tube
will be my main transport.
Any advice is appreciated (and I mean that sincerely)
Richard

As others have said, a Travelcard of some variety is what you need.
If you are a tourist, I reccomend using the buses, as although it takes
longer, you see far more, once you've got the travel card it is FREE,
unlike tour buses.
Although I don't live in London, whenever we've had foreign vistors,
and gone to London, we've generally used the buses. The top front of a
double decker can give a wonderful view.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Our favourite was to go from Paddington Station to Tower Bridge. Don't
know which services run double deckers at the moment.

That journey is undertaken by the 15 (indeed with double deckers). The
Trafalgar Square - Tower section is also covered by the "Heritage" 15
service, which uses traditional Routemaster buses. Travelcards are
valid on this (and the similar Heritage 9).

Other great routes for sightseeing are the 11 and 8.

Happy travelling!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK