Old September 24th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris! Chris! is offline

Default Fares changes for 2007

Neil Williams wrote:

Kev wrote:

Yes, great if you have Oyster. Why don't they just put signs up at
Heathrow and on the boundary of London saying **** off if you are a low
life visitor we don't want you in London.

Quite.

If Ken wants to implement a tourist tax, that's what he should do.
Such a thing would be added to hotel bills and fully transparent, just
like it is here in the Hague where I'm staying at the moment (it's
about EUR 2 a night).

Ahh but a tourist tax wouldn't make money out of people travelling from
North of London to South of London without stopping in London. IIRC a
cross london train ticket has the cash single fare added to it (ie £4)
but it isn't possible to buy a train ticket from, eg, Bedford to
Southampton and do the London bit on Oyster. Maybe TOCs should offer a
train ticket that includes travel to a London Terminal and then from
another, allowing the Passenger to pay the cheaper cross London transfer