Old November 21st 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Arrrrrrrrgh

"David of Broadway" wrote in message

Aside from history, why does the Tube use gates rather than turnstiles?

They are far more convenient for passengers than turnstiles (comparing
London with Paris, for example).

It seems to me that turnstiles would be more resistant to this sort of
abuse.

Not on the evidence of Paris, where several times I've seen people jumping
over turnstiles. There is always a balance to be struck between convenience
to the law-abiding majority and measures to defeat the criminals.
--
Richard J.