Old November 27th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Default Waterloo to South Bank Walkway

Is this walkway fully open again? At one time (until maybe ten years ago)
you could walk at high level all the way from the Eurostar end of Waterloo
right to Charing Cross, with just a dip under the tracks out of Charing
Cross. Then they closed the section from the far side of Waterloo Road
through the Shell Building and under the railway tracks: you had to come
down to ground level at Waterloo Road, walk along past the arches of the
viaduct and then climb back up a concrete spiral staircase near the Nelson
Mandela statue.

I never worked out why they closed part of the walkway or whether it was
intended to be a temporary or a permanent closure.

I think it went through an area that seems to have been used as a
constructors yard for the last ten years, for the Jubillee line, then
the Bakerloo line renewal work, then the new footbridge and then the
new shops and offices next to Festival hall. I think theres a plan to
redevelop that side of Waterloo in the next ten years, I think the
route from station to river needs much improvement

Rob