Old November 26th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo to South Bank Walkway

Any idea who is responsible for the upkeep of this? Network Rail or
Lambeth Council?

Thanks

--
Phil Richards
London, UK

Old November 27th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Is this walkway fully open again? At one time (until maybe ten years ago)
you could walk at high level all the way from the Eurostar end of Waterloo
right to Charing Cross, with just a dip under the tracks out of Charing
Cross. Then they closed the section from the far side of Waterloo Road
through the Shell Building and under the railway tracks: you had to come
down to ground level at Waterloo Road, walk along past the arches of the
viaduct and then climb back up a concrete spiral staircase near the Nelson
Mandela statue.

I never worked out why they closed part of the walkway or whether it was
intended to be a temporary or a permanent closure.

I think it went through an area that seems to have been used as a
constructors yard for the last ten years, for the Jubillee line, then
the Bakerloo line renewal work, then the new footbridge and then the
new shops and offices next to Festival hall. I think theres a plan to
redevelop that side of Waterloo in the next ten years, I think the
route from station to river needs much improvement

Rob

Old November 27th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

:

Rob wrote:

Is this walkway fully open again? At one time (until maybe ten years ago)
you could walk at high level all the way from the Eurostar end of Waterloo
right to Charing Cross, with just a dip under the tracks out of Charing
Cross. Then they closed the section from the far side of Waterloo Road
through the Shell Building and under the railway tracks: you had to come
down to ground level at Waterloo Road, walk along past the arches of the
viaduct and then climb back up a concrete spiral staircase near the Nelson
Mandela statue.

The last time I walked along, maybe a couple of months ago, it was open
from the station concourse, over York Road, through the Shell building
and over Belvedere Road, at which point you had to descend to street
level. The section that used to continue from there under the railway
line was a rather temporary structure, and has been gone for 5 years or
more. The original Hungerford footbridge to which it led has now of
course been replaced by the two new footbridges on either side of the
rail bridge.

Between Waterloo Station and York Road, the walkway passes through a
building (Elizabeth House?) which is, I believe, due to be demolished,
so the walkway may well be closed again for a while.

I would doubt that it belongs to Network Rail after it leaves the
boundary of the station, and I would guess that each section belongs to
the owner of the land underneath - ie NR, whoever owns E House (used to
be Government offices), Lambeth where it crosses the roads and Shell.

Peter CS

Old November 27th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

:

Rob wrote:

Is this walkway fully open again? At one time (until maybe ten
years ago) you could walk at high level all the way from the
Eurostar end of Waterloo right to Charing Cross, with just a dip
under the tracks out of Charing Cross. Then they closed the section
from the far side of York Road through the Shell Building and
under the railway tracks: you had to come down to ground level at
Waterloo Road, walk along past the arches of the viaduct and then
climb back up a concrete spiral staircase near the Nelson Mandela
statue.

The last time I walked along, maybe a couple of months ago, it was
open from the station concourse, over York Road, through the Shell
building and over Belvedere Road, at which point you had to descend
to street level. The section that used to continue from there under
the railway line was a rather temporary structure, and has been gone
for 5 years or more. The original Hungerford footbridge to which it
led has now of course been replaced by the two new footbridges on
either side of the rail bridge.

Ah, at least they've re-opened part of the route then, as far as Belvedere
Road, to avoid you needing to walk along York Road and then turn left along
Concert Hall Appoach.

However even if you want to use the upstream bridge (which wouldn't involve
you crossing under the tracks, are you saying that you need to come down to
ground level, walk towards the river and then (presumably!) climb up again
to the level of the bridge? Is there an obstruction (eg a building) that
prevents the high-level walkway from continuing between Belvedere Road and
the upstream bridge. Multimap
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...le=5000&icon=x
shows a path, but I presume it's a ground level.

Old November 27th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:

However even if you want to use the upstream bridge (which wouldn't
involve you crossing under the tracks, are you saying that you need
to come down to ground level, walk towards the river and then
(presumably!) climb up again to the level of the bridge? Is there an
obstruction (eg a building) that prevents the high-level walkway from
continuing between Belvedere Road and the upstream bridge. Multimap
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...le=5000&icon=x
shows a path, but I presume it's a ground level.

That is correct. For a while Jubilee Gardens (the former site of) and part
of the car park have been either covered in temporary buildings or
out-of-use. Jubilee Gardens was the site of many of the EJL (formerly JLE)
office and changing room Portakabins. The high level walkway is a bit of an
oddity now in that it just seems to come to an abrupt and pointless end at
Belvedere Road. Like you, I find it surprising that it wasn't continued on
to the South Bank and either linked to the upstream Hungerford Bridge (I
refuse to refer to them as the Millenium Bridges!) or taken down to ground
level at that point. For a while it was possible to walk across the car park
to the upstream bridge over the river but that too has been closed recently,
requiring a detour via the Festival Hall approach and the downstream
Hungerford Bridge or a circuitous route towards County Hall and across the
grass to get to the upstream bridge.

Old November 27th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:

Like you, I find it surprising that it wasn't continued on to the South
Bank and either linked to the upstream Hungerford Bridge (I refuse to
refer to them as the Millenium Bridges!)

Quite right; there is only one Millennium Bridge in London, and that is the
one between St Paul's Cathedral and Tate Modern. The Hungerford
footbridges are officially the Golden Jubilee Bridges, though about
one-sixth of their cost was covered by a grant from the Millennium
Commission.
--
Richard J.

Old December 17th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:59:12 -0000, "Martin Underwood" a@b wrote:

Phil Richards wrote in message
:

Any idea who is responsible for the upkeep of this? Network Rail or
Lambeth Council?

Is this walkway fully open again? At one time (until maybe ten years ago)
you could walk at high level all the way from the Eurostar end of Waterloo
right to Charing Cross, with just a dip under the tracks out of Charing
Cross. Then they closed the section from the far side of Waterloo Road
through the Shell Building and under the railway tracks: you had to come
down to ground level at Waterloo Road, walk along past the arches of the
viaduct and then climb back up a concrete spiral staircase near the Nelson
Mandela statue.

It's not, unfortunately, as other posters have said.

I walk almost everyday from Waterloo across the Golden Jubilee bridges
to Trafalgar Square and on to Piccadilly and one thing that is clear
is how appalling the route from the station to the South Bank is for
pedestrians. You have to avoid cars & taxis immediately after coming
out of the station, then Waterloo Road has a nasty bend in it to the
right that you can't see round, with a pedestrian refuge in the middle
that is far too small to take a trainload of people (there's one near
Victoria that's similar, I think it's at the end of Victoria Street).
Then you have to cross Belvedere Road. Given that walking reduces
obesity, emissions and congestion, surely more attention should be
paid to facilities for pedestrians? The only good thing about my
route to work is that they do seem to have improved the traffic light
sequence around Trafalgar Square.