Old December 9th 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default More trains on old WAGN lines

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

So there are large gaps in the service and lots of people either
crammed onto trains or seeking alternative routes.

Solution: run more trains !!

I'm sure I remember Ken promising better transport if we had the
congestion charge, and I've yet to see any improvements.

There's also the question of WHERE do 'more trains' come from? In the peaks,
First Capital Connect (as WAGN before them) utilise their stock to its
maximum capacity. There is no flexibility within the existing fleet.

OK, you say "get more trains in". Where from? The Class 313, which is the
only dual-voltage train that is permitted to run through the tunnels to
Moorgate, is only used on Great Northern services and on the North London
lines by Silverlink (and their 23 trains were originally built in 1976 for
GN services but were moved during the 1980s when the recession hit and GN
services had excess capacity). Their are no other units of similar spec
available. The generic Class 314s on Glasgow suburban services are also
three-car units but AC only, whilst the Class 315s on Great Eastern services
are four-car and AC only. All of those vehicles are also required where they
currently operate. Even to utilise some of them (say the Scottish 314s, when
they are replaced in the next few years) would create diagramming problems
to keep the dual-voltage services to Moorgate separated from AC-only
services, which would either have to divert to King's Cross or terminate
short at Finsbury Park or Drayton Park. Similarly there are no additional
outer-suburban units available from anywhere. All over the system the
current resources are being squeezed to the limit and the DfT are doing
nothing about authorising new stock to cater for the increase in passengers
that is anticipated in the next few years.

Realistically, all I can suggest that might happen is that FCC could take
back the 23 Class 313s from Silverlink, to expand their fleet, in two or
three years, when the current order for new Electrostar stock for the NLL
and ELL is delivered. Then you might be able to squeeze some additional
services through but, without platform lengthening (which isn't going to
happen in the tunnelled sections), nine-car trains formed of three 313s is a
highly unlikely solution. There is also the little matter that the 313s are
thirty years old this year and will themselves be due for replacement within
the next ten years, which might make expenditure on refurbishing the
ex-Silverlink sets an unattractive option.