Old January 3rd 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Brick Lane

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

I'm not quite sure why everyone doesn't just call it Ashburton Grove
though? Perhaps the broadcasters, during their match coverage at
least, are compelled to call each ground by their official names, but I

don't see why the papers do so, nor why anyone else should.

The difference between modern-day sponsors and those of days gone by is
that they make sure their name in clearly marked all over it.

New Court in Trinity College, Cambridge was originally named King's Court
because King William IV gave some money towards its construction.
Although the court appeared on maps still in print in my student days as
"King's or New Court" it appears the paltriness of the contribution and
the lack of any on-site names caused the "New Court" name to stick. The
Wolfson Building of the late 1960s has the name firmly engraved where you
can't miss it.

In the 1990s Pembroke College gained a Foundress Court, chosen because
no-one could think of any other better name for it (there was already a
New). The students' preferred choice of name for the new block was
Tennis Court, in honour of the adjacent road, but the fellows weren't
keen...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK