Old January 2nd 07, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brick Lane

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Dave Arquati wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Dave Arquati wrote:

Ooh, one of my pet peeves: some stations have numbered exits, and some
don't. If they were all numbered, you could always just arrange to
meet at exit 1, and it would be unambiguous.

Interesting. I think you should send that to LU complaints department.

Might do. More of a suggestion than a complaint, though!

I would say do it anyway!

Okay, okay!

I will also moan about the daft ticket machine situation we have at the
moment.

tom

--
Hit to death in the future head

Old January 2nd 07, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 08:19:38 -0500, David of Broadway wrote:

PS ISTR that the technical term for what i'm called
'behind-the-barriers' interchange is 'fare-paid' - is that right, or is
my mind going?

In NYC we speak of that area as being inside fare control. I don't know
if that term is also used in London.

IIRC the LU Conditions of Carriage uses the term "Compulsory Fare
Area".
Old January 3rd 07, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:58 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Colin Rosenstiel
wrote:

but perhaps the reason for King's court not sticking is
that it's a bloody stupid name for a sponsor, being so generic and
commonplace. Wouldn't William IV court have been more likely to
last?

Since they were just starting a 63-year Queen's reign that might not have
been seen in that light?

Do you think it's likely their decision was influenced by the fact
that a Queen was about to reign for 63 years?

Old January 3rd 07, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

congokid wrote:
In article 5, Tristán
White writes
What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost the
area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a rum deal
at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

Didn't residents of West Hampstead once petition to have Kilburn station
renamed 'Mapesbury'? I don't see why Brick Lane residents would have
better luck.
--

Brondesbury would be a better name as the BR station is pretty much
next door. The main part of Kilburn is also further South East down the

Old January 3rd 07, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

but perhaps the reason for King's court not sticking is
that it's a bloody stupid name for a sponsor, being so generic
and commonplace. Wouldn't William IV court have been more likely to

last?

Since they were just starting a 63-year Queen's reign that might
not have been seen in that light?

Do you think it's likely their decision was influenced by the fact
that a Queen was about to reign for 63 years?

Who knows? What I don't know was when the "King's Court" designation
ceased to be used regularly. It may well have been late in the 19th
century.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 3rd 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:32 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Colin Rosenstiel
wrote:

Since they were just starting a 63-year Queen's reign that might
not have been seen in that light?

Do you think it's likely their decision was influenced by the fact
that a Queen was about to reign for 63 years?

Who knows?

You, if you think about it for a minute...
Old January 3rd 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Earl Purple wrote:

congokid wrote:
In article 5, Tristán
White writes

What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost
the area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a
rum deal at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

Didn't residents of West Hampstead once petition to have Kilburn
station renamed 'Mapesbury'? I don't see why Brick Lane residents would
have better luck.

Brondesbury would be a better name as the BR station is pretty much next
door.

Or, using the road name method, Shoot Up Hill. I'm sure West
Hampsteadovians would be happy about that!

tom

--
If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed.

Brick tower at Crouch Hill Station Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 January 5th 17 03:36 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Caught driving on a bus lane by camera - what to do? Volker Finke London Transport 46 October 11th 03 02:03 PM
Kew Bridge Bus Lane Suspended Robin Cox London Transport 6 September 30th 03 09:32 AM
Chancery Lane Matthew Malthouse London Transport 12 July 19th 03 05:02 PM