Old January 20th 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default No online information during storms

Neil Spellings wrote:

The National Rail website (the definitive source for rail service
disruption) completely failed to mention that London Bridge station had
been closed for most of the day.

It was NOT closed for ''most of the day''.

It was open at least until 13:30 - well over half the day - and I know
that because I used it three times in the morning and the 4th time
departing at 13:30.

I'm amazed that with the technology at our disposal these days not one
of these organisations with billion pound budgets could get it right.

Have you considered those people who input data into those systems were
affected by rail travel and had disrupted work journies?

A lot of rail control rooms and CIS/PIS offices and so on work a 24/7
three shift pattern. Most shifts change at 14:00 +/- 1 h. Those coming
on duty for the pm shift were probably caught up in travel problems at
the height of the winds. Thats certainly when I was travelling away
from a meeting in London and when I got cought with a 1 h joourney from
London Bridge to Luton taking instead 3.5 hours via bus via Golders
Green.

No matter how good the technology is, report writing of specific
disruptions is a manual task. The system probably went into overload
and understaff.

--
Nick