Old January 26th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
alexterrell alexterrell is offline

Default How come the entire system collapsed this morning?

On 24 Jan, 23:11, "MaxB" wrote:
"Tristán White" wrote in messagenews:Xns98C2D27E8B7DTristanNewsInnitDood@21 6.196.109.145...

I don't think I've ever known it. Every single line had delays, mainly
serious delays, or in the case of the East London Line complete failure.

Why? Well, according to 7222 1234, it was signal failure - I called up as
was stranded. Appeared to be loads of different signal failures.

Odd.

Then when I finally got to Canning Town by bus, after giving up trying to
go from Plaistow, it said on the board beside the gates that most lines
were down because of the bad weather.

OK so what was it? And if it is the weather, how come one inch (if that)
of
snow (that almost immediately melted) caused such chaos?

Took me two hours to get in this morning. Grrrr.I am glad someone has mentioned the weather at last, and the chaos it caused

this morning, particularly on South Eastern. At London Bridge where I
unfortunately spent some considerable time, not only did the indicator
system go completely haywire, at least a dozen trains were cancelled without
a single word of advice or apology.

A complete shambles - we can only pray for global warming if this was the
best they could do!

South Eastern trains had a delay of about 1 hour and lots of
cancellation. There was only a cm of snow, and it wasn't too cold to
freeze points.

The only justification I can think of is staff couldn't get into work,
as the roads were extra busy with everyone driving at walking pace.