Old January 24th 07, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How come the entire system collapsed this morning?

I don't think I've ever known it. Every single line had delays, mainly
serious delays, or in the case of the East London Line complete failure.

Why? Well, according to 7222 1234, it was signal failure - I called up as I
was stranded. Appeared to be loads of different signal failures.

Odd.

Then when I finally got to Canning Town by bus, after giving up trying to
go from Plaistow, it said on the board beside the gates that most lines
were down because of the bad weather.

OK so what was it? And if it is the weather, how come one inch (if that) of
snow (that almost immediately melted) caused such chaos?

Took me two hours to get in this morning. Grrrr.

Old January 24th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tristán White" wrote in message
09.145...
I don't think I've ever known it. Every single line had delays, mainly
serious delays, or in the case of the East London Line complete failure.

Why? Well, according to 7222 1234, it was signal failure - I called up as
was stranded. Appeared to be loads of different signal failures.

Odd.

Then when I finally got to Canning Town by bus, after giving up trying to
go from Plaistow, it said on the board beside the gates that most lines
were down because of the bad weather.

OK so what was it? And if it is the weather, how come one inch (if that)
of
snow (that almost immediately melted) caused such chaos?

Took me two hours to get in this morning. Grrrr.

I am glad someone has mentioned the weather at last, and the chaos it caused
this morning, particularly on South Eastern. At London Bridge where I
unfortunately spent some considerable time, not only did the indicator
system go completely haywire, at least a dozen trains were cancelled without
a single word of advice or apology.

A complete shambles - we can only pray for global warming if this was the
best they could do!

MaxB

Old January 25th 07, 01:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MaxB" wrote in
:

[...]

No, the tracks bend out of shape when it's too warm :-)
Old January 25th 07, 04:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

I am glad someone has mentioned the weather at last, and the chaos it
caused this morning, particularly on South Eastern. At London Bridge
where I unfortunately spent some considerable time, not only did the
indicator system go completely haywire, at least a dozen trains were
cancelled without a single word of advice or apology.

A complete shambles - we can only pray for global warming if this was
the best they could do!

No, the tracks bend out of shape when it's too warm :-)

How about making a Travel News forecast:
Summer: Severe delays. Speed restrictions due to hot weather.
Autumn: Severe delays due to rain causing flooding and landslips.
Winter: Severe delays due to snow on the rails causing braking problems.
Spring: Good service?

;-)

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old January 25th 07, 04:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 05:04:37 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

Tristán White wrote:

I am glad someone has mentioned the weather at last, and the chaos it
caused this morning, particularly on South Eastern. At London Bridge
where I unfortunately spent some considerable time, not only did the
indicator system go completely haywire, at least a dozen trains were
cancelled without a single word of advice or apology.

A complete shambles - we can only pray for global warming if this was
the best they could do!

No, the tracks bend out of shape when it's too warm :-)

How about making a Travel News forecast:
Summer: Severe delays. Speed restrictions due to hot weather.
Autumn: Severe delays due to rain causing flooding and landslips.

Autumn: Severe delays due to leaves on the line.

Winter: Severe delays due to snow on the rails causing braking problems.
Spring: Good service?

Spring: see your Autumn.

January brings the snow
Makes your feet and fingers glow

February's Ice and sleet
Freeze the toes right off your feet

Welcome March with wintry wind
Would thou wer't not so unkind

April brings the sweet spring showers
On and on for hours and hours

Farmers fear unkindly May
Frost by night and hail by day

June just rains and never stops
Thirty days and spoils the crops

In July the sun is hot
Is it shining? No, it's not

August cold, and dank, and wet
Brings more rain than any yet

Bleak September's mist and mud
Is enough to chill the blood

Then October adds a gale
Wind and slush and rain and hail

Dark November brings the fog
Should not do it to a dog

Freezing wet December then:
Bloody January again!

Old January 25th 07, 07:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Tristán White wrote:

I am glad someone has mentioned the weather at last, and the chaos it
caused this morning, particularly on South Eastern. At London Bridge
where I unfortunately spent some considerable time, not only did the
indicator system go completely haywire, at least a dozen trains were
cancelled without a single word of advice or apology.

A complete shambles - we can only pray for global warming if this was
the best they could do!

No, the tracks bend out of shape when it's too warm :-)

How about making a Travel News forecast:
Summer: Severe delays. Speed restrictions due to hot weather.
Autumn: Severe delays due to rain causing flooding and landslips.
Winter: Severe delays due to snow on the rails causing braking problems.
Spring: Good service?

;-)

Spring: Severe delays due to strike action.

Old January 25th 07, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Tristán White wrote:

I am glad someone has mentioned the weather at last, and the chaos it
caused this morning, particularly on South Eastern. At London Bridge
where I unfortunately spent some considerable time, not only did the
indicator system go completely haywire, at least a dozen trains were
cancelled without a single word of advice or apology.

A complete shambles - we can only pray for global warming if this was
the best they could do!

No, the tracks bend out of shape when it's too warm :-)

How about making a Travel News forecast:
Summer: Severe delays. Speed restrictions due to hot weather.
Autumn: Severe delays due to rain causing flooding and landslips.
Winter: Severe delays due to snow on the rails causing braking problems.
Spring: Good service?

;-)

Spring: Severe delays due to strike action.

Ah, knew I forgot something!

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old January 26th 07, 07:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm not sure about the rest of the network, we were too busy trying to
get things moving our end, but the problems at the northern end of the
Met were caused by a stalled train at Chorleywood northbound.

Evidently it was a combination of the snow on the track being crushed
into ice by the train, and isolating the electric shoes, and the wheels
spinning which in turn burned out the motors!

To (eventually - about 8am was our first) get the met running again
another train had to push the stalled one al the way to Amerham, so we
enjoyed the fun of a 16 car train trying to reverse from platform 1 -
not the most standard manouver. Until this was out of the way there
hadn't been a single northbound train, which of course compounded the
delays.

Old January 26th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Jan, 23:11, "MaxB" wrote:
"Tristán White" wrote in messagenews:Xns98C2D27E8B7DTristanNewsInnitDood@21 6.196.109.145...

I don't think I've ever known it. Every single line had delays, mainly
serious delays, or in the case of the East London Line complete failure.

Why? Well, according to 7222 1234, it was signal failure - I called up as
was stranded. Appeared to be loads of different signal failures.

Odd.

Then when I finally got to Canning Town by bus, after giving up trying to
go from Plaistow, it said on the board beside the gates that most lines
were down because of the bad weather.

OK so what was it? And if it is the weather, how come one inch (if that)
of
snow (that almost immediately melted) caused such chaos?

Took me two hours to get in this morning. Grrrr.I am glad someone has mentioned the weather at last, and the chaos it caused

this morning, particularly on South Eastern. At London Bridge where I
unfortunately spent some considerable time, not only did the indicator
system go completely haywire, at least a dozen trains were cancelled without
a single word of advice or apology.

A complete shambles - we can only pray for global warming if this was the
best they could do!

South Eastern trains had a delay of about 1 hour and lots of
cancellation. There was only a cm of snow, and it wasn't too cold to
freeze points.

The only justification I can think of is staff couldn't get into work,
as the roads were extra busy with everyone driving at walking pace.