Old February 4th 07, 01:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default No lighting on Westway

I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that all
the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down, leaving
stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with plastic.
This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the slip roads.

Does anyone know if they are just replacing the lamps, or if the lack of
lighting is permanent? Either way it's daft.

If they are replacing the lamp columns, why not replace a few at a time
rather than leaving the whole road unlit? If it's permanent, presumably
that would be to reduce light pollution for nearby residents. But a
6-lane 50-mph ex-motorway is not the best place for that sort of
exercise.

--
Richard J.