Old February 4th 07, 01:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No lighting on Westway

I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that all
the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down, leaving
stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with plastic.
This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the slip roads.

Does anyone know if they are just replacing the lamps, or if the lack of
lighting is permanent? Either way it's daft.

If they are replacing the lamp columns, why not replace a few at a time
rather than leaving the whole road unlit? If it's permanent, presumably
that would be to reduce light pollution for nearby residents. But a
6-lane 50-mph ex-motorway is not the best place for that sort of
exercise.

--
Richard J.

Old February 4th 07, 02:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that all
the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down, leaving
stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with plastic.
This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the slip roads.

Maybe something large is being brought into London, like a french
animatronic elephant.

Old February 4th 07, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Sun, 4 Feb 2007
03:59:24 in uk.transport.london, John Rowland
writes
Richard J. wrote:
I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that all
the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down, leaving
stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with plastic.
This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the slip roads.

Maybe something large is being brought into London, like a french
animatronic elephant.

I can't be bothered finding a URL for this story but believe that one
column fell in a recent storm and all were felled as a health and safety
measure. I look forward to mal-feasance or is it mis-feasance or
non-feasance cases when lack of lighting contributes to accidents.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old February 4th 07, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 John Rowland wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that all
the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down, leaving
stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with plastic.
This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the slip roads.

Maybe something large is being brought into London, like a french
animatronic elephant.

It's been like this for some time now: I noticed it about three weeks
ago.
--
Thoss
Old February 4th 07, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" typed

Richard J. wrote:
I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that all
the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down, leaving
stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with plastic.
This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the slip roads.

Maybe something large is being brought into London, like a french
animatronic elephant.

The lighting columns are very short anyway in the region of Northolt
Aerodrome.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old February 4th 07, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on Sun, 4 Feb 2007 -
I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that all
the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down, leaving
stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with plastic.
This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the slip roads.

I believe corrosion was found in some of them, so they took them all
down

--
Matthew P Jones
www.ThisIsAmersham.com www.amersham.org.uk www.metroland.org.uk
Old February 4th 07, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 16:35, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:
I drove along Westway (A40) on Thursday evening, and noticed that
all the lamp columns in the central reservation had been cut down,
leaving stumps about 3 metres high with the tops covered over with
plastic. This means that Westway is currently unlit apart from the
slip roads.

Does anyone know if they are just replacing the lamps, or if the
lack of lighting is permanent? Either way it's daft.

If they are replacing the lamp columns, why not replace a few at a
time rather than leaving the whole road unlit? If it's permanent,
presumably that would be to reduce light pollution for nearby
residents. But a 6-lane 50-mph ex-motorway is not the best place
for that sort of exercise.

Something similar appears to have happened in Camden. Nearly all the
columns were cut down like than in Tavistock Place recently. Nw a few new,
smaller, columns have been erected so it's not in total darkness. Looks
like some Health and Safety panic to me.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Two sides to that argument of course - perhaps the design of said
columns has been found to be structurally flawed after corrosion (i.e.
rust) has affected them, and one has fallen down somewhere. Plus a
crash on an elevated roadway such as the Westway could be pretty ugly.
Health and Safety panic vs sensible precautions...

Anyway I think prefer the Westway like it is - you can see the lights
of London town as you 'fly' through west London rather than merely
drive under the glare of harsh sodium lights - somehow it appeals to
my romanitic side! There's so much ambient light that it's far from
pitch black anyway.

Old February 4th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Richard J.) wrote:
[...]

A fairer point on a road like Westway than on a local street like
Tavistock Place with much less alternative lighting and cyclists trying
to negotiate hard-to-see obstacles. Isn't it just typical of modern risk
assessment that other risks like that are completely ignored?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 4th 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 18:12, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article .com,

(Richard J.) wrote:
[...]

As a cyclist I'd have to agree with the broad thrust of your argument.
I'll make a detour next time I'm around there after dark and see for
myself - I'll be sure to wear my high vis though!

Just got me thinking, the fatalities and injuries on the roads during
the blackout must have been numerous, though obviously the risk-
assessment was a rather different calculation then! And of course
there's the pea-soupers...