Old February 19th 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark F Mark F is offline

Default Petition against C-Charge for Blackwall Tunnel

Please sign my petition to urge the government to stop Greenwich council
from setting up the congestion charge in the borough of Greenwich.

This charge will not only effect journeys through the centre of
Greenwich, but also users of the Blackwall Tunnel, as the council are
considering making this a toll tunnel.

I have lived in Greenwich for the last 42 years, so I have seen an
increase in traffic during that time, however the politicians would have you
and I believe this is because the number of cars has increased. I am not
so sure of that. what I am sure of is that most of the various routes, side
roads, other than the main road have either been closed or made in one-way
streets, forcing all traffic on to the main roads, thereby
seeming as though there is an increase in the number of cars, the fact is
that all cars are now forced to use main roads instead of being able to
choose various routes to reach their destination.

Another factor helping towards the "effect" of congestion is the
introduction of an un-necessary number of traffic lights, which seem to be
phased that as one set go green, the next set are going to red.

I live in Greenwich and used to work in Bermondsey, at 4.30 one morning
I got stuck at red light on 14 sets of traffic lights, there was only me on
the road at that time of the morning, however imagine the effect that
would have on traffic during rush hour. This was not a one off or occasional
occurrence, this was quite regular. I began to wonder at one point who was
taking a kick-back from the traffic light suppliers /
manufacturers, because it seemed there were and have been so many sets of
traffic lights popping up all over London, at places where there didn't and
doesn't seem to be a need for them.

The web address of the petition is below, your help by signing this
would be greatly appreciated.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BlackwallTunnel/

Your petition reads:

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop the
congestion charge scheme being introduced in Greenwich or for
using Blackwall Tunnel

Congestion charging doesn't work,no matter what lies our mayor
tells us. It is just another tax. Greenwich Council has slowly
succeeded in driving busieness' and industry from the Greenwich
Borough over the last 20 years. So if you live in Greenwich,
chances are you work outside of the borough because of the lack
of industry within it. Now in collaboration with TFL, Greenwich
Council want to introduce the congestion charge so that you pay
to enter/exit the borough,but also pass through it via
Blackwall tunnel. All road users are very heavily taxed already
and tolls are an added unjust burden that particularly hits
drivers on low incomes.